Hard drive in PCI-e slot

Perfesser

So I have a Asus  P8Z68-V mobo.  My small (250) SSD is almost full.  I have empty PCI slots that I could plug in an SSD.

However, I think I can't boot from PCI slot SSD but I'm thinking I leave the O/S on the drive I have now,  migrate games over to the PCI slot drive and run from there.

Does this make sense?

• 1. DDz Quorum
20 minutes ago, Perfesser said:

This board is just before the M.2 slot came about.

PCI slots are faster data transfer than SATA and this type of drive cools better than an enclosed SATA drive = faster speed and longer life.

Apparently there are adapters > M.2 to PCI-e   .... still investigating..

Would you really be able to tell the difference in speed? 

I'd say keep it simple. Adding an adapter PCI-e to M.2? I dunno, I would not even try that ... 😎

• 2. Administrators

The theoretical maximum speed for a SATAIII connection is 6GB/s. I don't think 6 megabits per second is going set the world on fire 😉. Notice the use of the word theoretical - you are unlikely to see anything remotely approaching that in a real-world application (SATA SSDs are still much quicker than standard hard drives) - much like the fuel economy figures the manufacturer says you can get out of your car/truck/bike (delete as applicable). PCIe SSD cards are available but I would advise you to check very carefully that your board supports them, I've skimmed through the manual and I think it's highly unlikely but I'm prepared to be proved wrong. They are also MUCH more expensive that a standard SSD so I would probably just add another SSD and keep the change.

Failing that and if you're feeling flush, swap out the mobo, processor and memory and get your added horsepower that way - in addition you could then swap out SSDs for M.2s later if you felt so inclined.

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I have added a couple of M.2 SSDs each in a PCI adapter, the NVME are the best but all are significantly faster than the SATA 6Gbs drives.

And yes you can boot from them.

Review carefully the read/write speeds and compare them, note: You will need a PCIE V3 or later for some to get full benefit.

Thanks all for the help.

I have a reprieve of sorts. I only had 9 MB (of 250) space left on my SSD.  I'm told its very bad to have an SSD more than about 75% full.  Ordered a 500MB SATA 2.5 inch.

My mobo is just a bit too old to take full advantage of an NVMe stick... by the time I can use one a 10 TB will be $20

Moved DCS bloatware (88mb?) to the storage drive.  DCS seems to run OK, just takes a long time to load.

• Like 1