Out now - ChkSkins - We share our skins!

• 1. DDz Quorum
14 hours ago, T_O_A_D said:

This version works fine for me, totally ran myself out of data the last two days though.

Luckily it got reset today.

I haven't spent much time playing yet, but I noticed an awful lot of the same skins in the P-51 stable, just different artist and or versions of wear.

I'd say we may need to vote or poll the scrubs out.

Yeah, it's a bit overwhelming now... the numbers!

Might even think of a naming convention, so if the filename does not match something like <ACModel><Army><Skinname>Name><Version> before chkskins will accept and upload it... 

Naah... that'd make too much sense ... and would be way too much work!

Something needs to be done, though limiting it to 4K does already help a lot...

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, FoolTrottel said:

Yeah, it's a bit overwhelming now... the numbers!

Might even think of a naming convention, so if the filename does not match something like <ACModel><Army><Skinname>Name><Version> before chkskins will accept and upload it... 

Naah... that'd make too much sense ... and would be way too much work!

Something needs to be done, though limiting it to 4K does already help a lot...

I don't think that duplicate skins by different artists are an issue because they are made differently and can look slightly different. If you don't like one or think there are too many similar ones why not delete them from your skin folder after downloading them through Checkskins? The good thing about the setup now is that everyone who uses Checkskins has the same ones and other flyers can see them...even deleting ones you don't like or consider surplus won't change that. 

• 1. DDz Quorum
16 hours ago, T_O_A_D said:

This version works fine for me, totally ran myself out of data the last two days though.

Luckily it got reset today.

I haven't spent much time playing yet, but I noticed an awful lot of the same skins in the P-51 stable, just different artist and or versions of wear.

I'd say we may need to vote or poll the scrubs out.

see above post

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ah yes, of course, my bad. In that case just leave them in and ignore them. Personally I think this is a great programme and gives us the same effect as we had in 46 where, due to the games network cache, we all had the same skins and could see them. In Box it needs a bit of time as it has to be done manually by pressing some buttons and waiting for the download to finish. 

• 1. DDz Quorum

In general, it does indeed what it says on-the-tin, and yes, if we do not look too closely, it's perfect.

Yet... there's stuff like this:

image.png

For sure, this is a 2K skin, so... but it does show a problem. This is probably 100% the very same skin, but it's there three times, just because somebody decided to download it more than once (hence the (1) addition) plus the name has an extra trailing space before the dot.

Yep.

And I found this 'skin', it the I16t24 folder:

So, somebody saved it there, but it should not be there at all, me thinks. Yet, there's a chance everybody has it now, apart from the Only4K Crowd.

What I now need are suggestions in the absolute technical part: What could I add to ChkSkins that would make it help us get rid of rubbish? Mind you, I am not talking fuzzy logics, or some level of AI or self learning, and please nothing like : "ChkSkins has gladly offered you this nice skin. How do you rate it on a scale of 1-10.000 where the higher one would be "Over the top me in my Rift just had an out of 3D experience just by looking at it" ... !)

No, something simple and sensible. ... Yeah, if it were that simple, I'd have thought about it already!

\\:)//

As for the more complex solution: I could try and have ChkSkins create a blueprint of each and every skin found locally, compare it with the blueprint in the vault... and use that to compare equal skins... then delete all the equal ones locally, and download the one in the Vault, using one unique name... but... that'd probably slow stuff down like mad! Or maybe not?

Still, that'd leave us with deciding what is a good skin, what's a bad one.

What Kevin states: Yes, I am all for that: We do not want to go look through 30Gb of skin files looking for the bad ones!

So, putting this all together, my suggestion would be:

1. ChkSkins will use 4K skins as a default: this will weed out a lot of "bad" skins. The Skault will not have any only 4K skins in it, and ChkSkins will no longer delete any local non-4K skins. That way, you can use your personal photo's at will. ChkSkins will still have an option 'Delete local non-4K Skins'

2. ChSkins will have a cleanup option for the Skault: It will make a blueprint of all files in the Skault, and clean it up for any duplicates. It will also record the names of these duplicates, and will prevent any new skins with that blueprint yet with a different name to be uploaded. (No, is my initial reaction, way too much work, yet on the other hand, this could be a brilliant idea!)

3. ChkSkins will suggest you that when the disk where your skins are downloaded runs out of disk space, to buy a new one. A bigger one. To fund this, it will randomly select one of the following tips:

1. Sell your car
  2. Sell your second car
  3. Sell all of the kids
  4. Sell your second wife
  5. Sell your facebook account.

So, in the end, please post any bwilliant hot ideas on this. You can't go wrong. Anything is welcome. Thank you very much.

It's cool. I'm not crazy, my mother never had me tested, but there's no need to, she believes me on my blue eyes. (Mind you, in her defense, they are bright, just as bright I am!)

:shaunhb:

• Like 1

I agree going through a 30 gig witch hunt is crazy.

But in IMO a specific DD set, with one (IE) "Big Beautiful Doll"  4k  per aircraft type only makes sense.

Later on as we do them, Individual DD Pilot skins would be nice.

Or if we are doing a campaign together a Historical Squadron could easily be added in.

Possibly we could post the skin as a poll before we just willy nilly push it up to the Skault???

It's a great prog FT is an extreme value, but the rest of us could turn his good work into a major resource hog full of trash.

• Like 1

Another thought crossed my mind whilst doing dishes tonight FT.

The mind wanders when doing the mundane.

What about getting the prog to create a folder and rename the original folder sort of like JSGME and vice versa

Once it's able to do that, we could build an exact narrowed list for the DD collection.

I was noticing today, that some of the stock skins have been recreated by the community, and for all reasonable purposes are nothing better, other than possibly 4k.

If the latter then fine, keep the higher resolution, but if not well.

I know its hard to put the Jeanie back in the bottle, without a bit of work, and work that I can't actually help with, short trimming the paints.

Another just popped in, what about special skin sets like a Campaign Squadron being made into a JSGME, I'm wondering about load times, does the stable affect this game like other games?

• 1. DDz Quorum

In the end, there are three options here:

1. ChkSkins full - all skins downloaded/uploaded, some 3700 at the moment, 40 GB

2. ChkSkins 4K - Limited to 1550 skins at the moment, 30GB

3. No ChkSkins

The idea was to easily share skins ... and that has been achieved. In mission, I see a lot more custom skins than before. 

So, now remind me, where the problem is?

If you think your free disk space gets too low, by all means, delete some, and do not run ChkSkins any more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2. Administrators

I'll probably not be running it again for the time being - I've only got the 4K skins now and I'm pretty happy with what I have so...

It's a fantastic thing you've done there FT - thank you

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum
12 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Hello FT. 

I wannado the Checkskins thang again as I've got myself a whole squadron of blue-nosed bastards and I need volunteers to smile in front of the camera whilst in a massed, close formation of P-51's:P

Can you verify that I'm a member of the dangerdogz?:dj:

Yes, I can!

Done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum
51 minutes ago, Jabo said:

FT - I'm getting the following error - any thoughts? I have moved my game folder to a different location - could this be the reason?

image.png

Yes, that's the cause.

Edit the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{66F649A9-0FA2-487E-BC0D-894BD7E89D5E}_is1]
"InstallLocation"="D:\\BoS\\"

Where you edit that InstallLocation value to the one you've got it at now... mind them double backslashes. (Why did I not put that in the error message? Oh, yeah, too much work! :))

• Thanks 1