What is over cooling

• 1. DDz Quorum

Salute chaps,

i am getting engine over cooled warning message when starting up. 

What am I not doing? Or doing wrong?

now that I have my stick sorted and with sids help got the mapping profile software working, this will probably be the first of many questions......

friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Yes starting from cold in the quick mission. Trying to get key bindings sorted. Plane is parked with everything off.

i have put mixture and rpm to max

throttle to about 15%

got it on the yak yesterday but think I have had it on others?

think this is normal.  Over cooling - as well as over heating - represent problems for aero engines therefore the technochat gives a warning. 

An engine starting from cold would be within the parameters that would give an over cooling message.  As the engine warms up these messages should cease.

• 1. DDz Quorum

The viscosity of engine oil changes with temperature; when cool it is too thick to circulate quickly enough to exchange the heat generated by the engine at higher power settings. As the oil warms it runs more freely allowing it to move more quickly and better transfer the heat from the engine to the oil radiator.

There should be min operating temps in the aircraft guidelines tab in the briefing window.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

The viscosity of engine oil changes with temperature; when cool it is too thick to circulate quickly enough to exchange the heat generated by the engine at higher power settings. As the oil warms it runs more freely allowing it to move more quickly and better transfer the heat from the engine to the oil radiator.

There should be min operating temps in the aircraft guidelines tab in the briefing window.

Bingo!