Major Fenrirs P-38 Campaign - Testing

How much are the errors affected by the number of players and the server connection quality? Might it be worth running a short campaign with fewer players and if it goes ok add more? Or even with the mission we ran last night try that on the dogz server as a coop?

• 1. DDz Quorum

The Good News

485th Skins by Jaegermeister can be found here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/61698-scripted-campaign-lightning-strikes-discussion/

Version 8.8.1 of PWCG has reportedly addressed the issue of air to air victories not being logged.

The Bad News

I can't host ANY Coop missions. Every time I try to Create Server in the Multiplayer Coop menu, either using a PWCG or one of the SYN missions as generated by FT, it starts to load but after 20-30 seconds it fails and drops me back to the Multiplayer menu.

*EDIT* - Correction: I CAN NOW HOST! NO BAD NEWS!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thank you to all who attended the test run of the campaign again last night. I am glad to say that all appears functional, we had good to steady performance throughout and not only did (almost!) all of the air kills log successfully (sorry Painless!) but so too did the other events.

So to summarise:

WE ARE GO FOR THE P-38 CO-OP CAMPAIGN!!!! :jig:  :headbang: :salute:

I will reset the campaign so any scores/deaths accrued from last nights test will be lost but I think a clean sheet start for all is the best way to start.

I will also be starting a new thread to officially announce the start of the campaign proper, with  a break down of who is assigned to which squadron and all other relevant information and skin links in one cohesive place. I will use this thread to share screenshots of the PWCG interface showing our progress and scores as we proceed.

I will be running the campaign on alternate Sundays and Tuesdays to give all the Dogz GBSers a chance to partake, but also to allow for an evening of uninterrupted (ahem!) quick (double ahem!) co-ops every two weeks to keep those parties uninterested in the campaign placated.

I propose a campaign start hour of 2130 BST (2030 UCT) - to allow for some D/F and Co-op warm-up prior. This would be a hard cut-off point as I must know confirmed participation prior to generating the mission, else you don't get an aeroplane. 

The mission should last an hour so ideally we'd be out at 2230 BST (2130 UCT) but with the brief/debrief and other unexpected issues that arise perhaps 2300 on a bad night.

That sound ok?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
3 hours ago, Crash said:

Thanks Fen. Is it possible to generate the mission early, so as to assign targets to pilots in the case of a ground pounding mission?

Negative Dave. I can only generate a mission based on those who actually show up and say "I'm in" that evening for 2 reasons:

1. Let's say I run a check-in prior and DangerDog "X"puts his hat in the ring. We all show up but "X" doesn't. We run the mission anyway. In this case "X"s pilot persona and plane get controlled by the AI. If "X" has a lengthy career and several promotions and the AI does something stupid and get's itself deaded, then DangerDog "X"'s pilot persona is gone, along with his score and any medals or promotions accrued. Dangerdog "X" is unhappy. Fenrir get's grief from Dangerdog "X". Fenrir  is unhappy. I don't want to be unhappy!

2. There are no detailed information plans/layouts/photo's of the target area, only a general description of the target type, i.e. "railroad targets", "transportation targets", "vehicle column", "front line position", etc. Pretty much as per reality; these guys rarely received the level of target intelligence you are hinting at. They very  infrequently got talk on from a forward ground observer but this was the exception rather than the rule, and, particularly during the Battle of the Bulge when front line positions could not be guaranteed, they would often be obliged to descend and do a low level pass to attempt to visually ID the potential target as friendly or enemy before engaging - with all the exposure to enemy flak gunners that entailed.

Ergo, it is up to Squadron and flight leaders upon reaching the target to attempt to establish the format of the target and any AAA protection it may have visually and assign what forces they have accordingly.

Pat posted this. It looks very interesting

I'm going to need some help in a little while.  I am in the process of making a pretty big change to PWCG.  It should both simplify the mission creation process and create better missions,

PWCG Now: Flight centric.  PWCG makes flights.  If it needs ground targets then PWCG makes those for the flight.  Because there are limits AI flights are limited to tiny ground targets - usually an AA.  MG.  The process is very complex as it requires an analysis of available target types, then the creation of one of those target types during flight creation specific to the flight.

PWCG Next: Battlefront centric.  PWCG makes the ground activity first.  If a flight needs a ground target one is selected from the activity in the mission.  No more availability analysis, just assignments to attack what's there.  

What I hope to achieve:

Organic funneling.  In real life attack planes went to where the action was and fighter planes went to where the attack planes were.  This new model will exactly emulate that.

Easier time modeling historical action tempo.  Give you the feeling of intense activity during battles and less activity during quieter times.

Better overall feel for what you and the planes around you are doing.  AI only flights will now attack real targets on the battlefield.

Better software.  This implementation is both simpler than what exists today and should produce more enjoyable missions.  Easier maintenance, reduced risk of bugs, easier to expand, etc.

Worst case there should be minimal difference.  If you are a fighter jock then you're mostly interested in killing other planes.  You might notice that the planes are attacking real targets.  I think this will really make the ground attack experience light up ... or it will look pretty much the same as today.

I should have a beta out in a few days.  

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Superb job Tom, thanks for persevering with this troublesome project. On the night live inclusion has to be the way to go mate. I really like the blend of disciplined flying with a touch of Dangerdogidness.
Looking forward to the official start.