Major Fenrirs P-38 Campaign - Testing

• 1. DDz Quorum

Yup. Fraid it looks like we'll have to split the two squadrons to two separate airfields.  😠

However, on a plus note, after flying a sortie with BluBear managed to get the next day's mission to generate! Logged progression it seems is now acheivable!

Will have to make some further edits and tests regards the new airfield. Thinking A-89 Le Culot might be the best option for the 485th guys.

• Thanks 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

Update 3: another test run last night with Rox and Painless to test the new segregated squadrons and...

Success!!!

We are ready to fly gentlemen! 

In order to save me a great deal of tedious admin we will continue from the mission that Rox, Painless and I flew last night - also it means that the scores Painless and Rox accrued will be saved - a small reward for their help in the test process. 

For now I will host on my computer but it would be wise to run a stress test mission one eve to establish what kind of numbers my PC and connection can handle.

I will attempt to get on Sunday evening and if we can perhaps substitute one of the co-ops for the campaign stress test at round 2100BST for a max attendance attempt that would be great. 

Cheers!

• Thanks 2

Oh yes!!! Thanks Fen. Will the briefing have a picture of the target so we can assign pilots? it would save making it up as we go along (usual doggie style)

If we have some idea of what we are attacking I feel it would be best to allocate targets and the order that we attack them in. Anti air patrols should be somewhat easier to organise.

I'm happy if I can see my plane on map , although I do find the airspeed and altitude gauges slightly hidden on lightning I'll go with what you want, basically hosts choice as far as I'm concerned , I just wanted to know for practice

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thanks all who joined in the stress test last night.

Both a success and... not so much! For reasons as yet unclear none of the events last night logged - so whilst I was able to generate the next day's mission, no kills or deaths actually were recorded. I have a feeling I know what caused this but need to run another test.

Noted issues

1. Need to increase the idle kick timeout - well done to all for managing to dodge this issue without ground collisions last night!

2. Radio saturation - probably best to segregate the squadrons to separate channels

3.Skins -

402nd squadron:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n8pc4a0ggyon99g/P38J25_402nd_Gen.zip/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z15z4hnirnp7wrf/P38J25_402nd_E6_T.zip/file

485th squadron:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2am3npm7ftbszm5/P38J25_MY_LITTLE_PIG_V2.dds/file

and the official skins: 

"Les Vin, Les Femmes, et Les Chansons"

"San Dot"

With a lot more coming soon:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/56052-370th-p-38-skins/

4. Icon mods for those who asked:

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/13451-gbs-icon-mod/

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/13517-mod-that-removes-all-aircraft-on-maps-except-own/

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

For my part..

The Bad...

I must apologise for letting Sid down by not covering is back. This was due to me not getting close enough from take off and then due to the icons not being able to locate him when we broke to engage the enemy.

I also reported an issue of not being able to bring my map up. I should have been more precise. It was my mini-map that I could not engage, I did not try the big map. When I moved myself back to the main forum I mentioned this to Arthur and he informed me that he believed that no one can use the mini map in this scenario? So I should be able to work round that for next time.

Separate communication channels may reduce the noise but would then become an issue if the numbers in flights get reduced due to deaths etc and pilots are asked to join up with another wing. Flying in VR I don't think I would be able to map keys for whispers etc.

A lot of the chatter was caused by people not understanding the plane so hopefully that will go next time.

The Good

Great atmosphere created by Fen and immersion. The missions I feel are going to require me to up my game, which will always be a good thing.

I got home safely and landed :)

• 1. DDz Quorum

We'll be ok next time Friar 👍

Thanks for the work Fen....as someone said last night I think we are breaking new ground with the mission generator and are pushing it's workings to the limit and beyond. Good to be testing it like we are though. 

My issues with the mission and how it went have mostly been mentioned in the previous posts so few additions from me.

I don't think everyone will need to set up whispers, perhaps just set up one between Fen and Painless to start with and see how it goes. Take it step by step and maybe expand coverage if required.

Last night emphasised how necessary it is to have controls set up and the need to push the P38 in order to keep up with others. Painless reduced his engine rpm and manifold pressure quite a lot to allow us to catch up but if you can't please say so as flight leaders can put in banking turns to allow those behind to catch up. I will be more attentive and look to do that next time.

Cheerzen

• 1. DDz Quorum

As a rule I orbit the field at much reduced power settings - 2700 RPM, 35-40" Manifold Pressure - in a VERY gentle left hand turn to assist with forming up; this does however rely on those joining to cut the corner properly to rejoin - and I mean properly! You chaps joining up need to put your leader at your 2 to half-past 2 o'clock, not stick your gun-sight on him and try and overhaul him! Otherwise all that happens is you end up with an extended conga line merry-go rounding home base for 20 minutes!

Done effectively and with people getting off the ground in good order this can be done in a maximum of two orbits.

This should allow everyone to get into a reasonable group before setting off to mission.

I agree with Sid on the Whispers. Have the Squadron Leaders certainly but perhaps have the Flight Commanders too for redundancy in case the CO's buy the farm! If they both go down then the individual squadron members just have to do the best they can and/or scoot home.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Tom really is pushing the envelope with GBS to get this sorted for us, so remember.... it’s all his fault ! 
The main issues for me were...
This is where we need to cross over from DDz silly bugger comms, (which I enjoy) to more serious comms with added brevity, to get the job done (which we struggle with). 🤓

Getting to know the 38 both on the ground and in the air. 😳

That famous DDz lack of discipline associated with wingman tactics which we have been perfecting since 2006. 🤣

There are of course a few of you boys who have mastered all of the above and it showed ~S~ 

What do you guys think about having this as a semi regular thing on a Sunday as and when Tom has the evening free ?

It will probably have to be relatively short notice but hey, we all like (pleasant) surprises right ?

• 1. DDz Quorum
13 minutes ago, Painless said:

What do you guys think about having this as a semi regular thing on a Sunday as and when Tom has the evening free ?

lovely ☺️

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

One odd issue for me during the mission was that I lost the 6DOF in VR. I could turn my head and lean backwards and forwards but I couldn't tilt my view to look around the instruments or use the mirror. I had full functionality during the dogfight server, coop server before the mission and after the mission I flew a single mission and went onto Arthur's server and had full functionality for both. Weird....

I enjoyed last night 

Positives were immersion and flying as a squad

Negatives, had slight frame rate issue at a couple of engagement and had trouble keeping up with flight on takeoff, it would be good for flight leaders to announce flight plan and proposed settings prior to take off and not go full tilt. Some of us don't do a lot of formation stuff so will take time and planning to help us

• 1. DDz Quorum

I was the " tail end charlie ", of this mission, caught the main group once, and went past most.  This is mostly my fault, practice and a new piece of equipment should help..

Everything else was exciting, like how I felt when I first met the Dogz.  When Delta called us off and we started for home base, I discovered I had lost maps, had them earlier.  Also no comms with others, had them earlier with all in flight.  Perhaps these were  taken out by being hit, I did suffer a flat front tire.  Looking forward to more of these, thanks Fen.

The mini maps were gone, I could use Shift H and get a large overview map.