I have a week to kill in southern England...what to do what to do...

PropNut

I finished my bicycle ride from Krakow Poland to Hamburg Germany a week and a half early. So my wife said go to England. Here I am standing in line in Hamburg at the British Airways counter looking for suggestions. 

I have scoped out the Shuttleworth collection, where, how to get there, etc , and also plan to visit the British Museum, Donnington, Silverstone and other cultural venues. Any other suggestions? 

• Thanks 1

There's plenty to see down in the South East as well for free or a reasonable fee, i'd recommend:

The Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge on the sight of the former RAF BofB airfield
The nearby BofB memorial and 'Wing' experience at Capel le Ferne with a spectacular view out from the white cliffs
Manston's Spitfire and Hurricane museum and neighbouring RAF History Museum
Honourable mention to the de Havilland Museum in Hatfield, home of the Mosquito with three complete examples including the prototype.

If you can stretch to it, a tour of the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar is excellent, the most (airworthy) Spitfires under one roof in the world I think...

There are quite a few other smaller museums and collections dotted around as well, Brenzett, Shoreham, Headcorn etc.

Fenrir and I are Kent residents, so feel free to drop us a DM if you require any assistance!

• Thanks 1

Thanks BluBear, I might do that. I am going to spend one more day in London and then I will head north to Duxford for a day. Kent is an easy hop by train I assume. Any recommendations on where to stay?

• 2. Administrators

Crash, Fen and I are at Duxford next week (Tuesday for Dave, Wednesday for Tom and both days for me). If you're coming then, you'll need to book a ticket online before arriving (https://www.iwm.org.uk/)- the D-Day 75th Anniversary flypast of DC-3s and fighters over Normandy is departing from Duxford on Wednesday - hopefully 38 Daks will be taking part (There's 13 on the ground there as I write this)

If you're into Armor, then the Tank Museum at Bovington is worth a visit too.

• Like 1

I have not booked it yet but I did find a room to rent in Cambridge for Monday-Thursday so I could attend both days. It looks like there is a shuttle running from Cambridge to the event every half hour.

• Like 1

I have booked a room for three nights in Cambridge and have tickets for both Tuesday and Wednesday. Let me know how or where I can meet any of you, I would very much enjoy that. 

Tomorrow I am off to Silverstone to watch some races. 

• Like 2

• 2. Administrators

Crash and I will be there on Tuesday - I'll be at the Classic Wings marquee as I'm playing photographer for the day. Tom, Chris and I will be there on Wednesday. If you want a lift to & from the field on Wednesday, let me know which hotel you're at and I'll come pick you up. Food and beers on Tuesday night too maybe?