VR I am on the list

Crash

think thats good news Crash. 

Although Dallas is obviously a bit further away from you than NY I seem to remember it's one of the BIG airfreight distribution hub's for the US.

In europe Liepzig is the biggy for inbound airfreight.

Your fingering device should be perfect for giving the F16 a poke:P  

@ Arthur I have had a very quick go in the F-16 :) To be honest I thought that US post had lost it as it hadnt moved in over 2 weeks. We shall see. I will definatly give the plywood cockpit a go

• 1. DDz Quorum

That plywood stuff: looks like it works ... nice idea, at least your finger has something to push against :)

That video does show the currently limited peripheral vision in VR, and/or limited FOV - Wow, how he has to move his head to look at a switch, that's a lot ... !

42 minutes ago, FoolTrottel said:

That video does show the currently limited peripheral vision in VR, and/or limited FOV - Wow, how he has to move his head to look at a switch, that's a lot ... !

Hmmm......I think the limited field of view thing is a bit of a red herring.  I'm sat at my pc now with the monitor on a desk.  To my right are some pens.  If I pick one up the natural thing seems to be to move my head and guide my hand to it. I don't grope around for it whilst staring straight ahead.  

If I was sat in the cockpit of a modern military jet i think I'd be wanting to guide my banana fingers right onto the correct switch or button.  Again, I don't think I'd be relying on peripheral vision to accomplish 'difficult' tasks.  Chimps like us are hunters not flight animals and we've evolved two close-set optical receptors on a pivoting, swivelling mount.  We're meant to use them that way.

For us, peripheral vision is mostly useful for seeing things in the dark.

Nice idea with the plywood btw.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Yeah, it 's not so much the peripheral vision - should not have use that word, sorry! - yet more FOV limitation? I am not sure, but how does moving / rolling your eyes do in VR? Maybe that's the "problem?"

His movements just look a bit off, not natural?

I think that in the videos I have seen on cold and dark start ups snap views have been used to get a good position for mouse clicking of the buttons. My package has now departed Dallas for God knows where.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Oh, what would really be cool: To print a map of your hometowns surroundings, or of London or Paris on that plywood.

And then make a video of you using the PointControls!  Haha, that would really look funny.... (Or, maybe not... well, just imagine!) 

• Haha 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
34 minutes ago, Crash said:

Tried to set up but its a bit bright now so I will wait until theis evening. Looking forward to getting it working :) All I need is a piece of plywood and wifey will be convinced I am mad.

Janie always said that my study would take off and fly one day.....

• 2 weeks later...

After several attempts over several days I think I have got it set up :) feeling very promising as there will be no need to assign key presses for every plane. Looking forward to when the beta is upgraded to stable as the settings screen is better.

• 3 weeks later...

After recalibrating 4 times it works well. I think I had issues with stray lighting interfering with the headset. It is rather good for using MFDs :)

Viacompro and SRS on the otherhand......need more understanding on my part.