Pooter won't boot

Sid

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hello fellows.

I have a problem, or maybe more than one, with my pooter. I have had some graphics freezes in DCS and BoX rececently when other flyers haven't. I have two monitors, big one connected by display port the smaller by DVI. I have been running 2 x 1070s in SLI for the life of this pooter. The rear panel doesn't have any graphics connector so the pooter relies on a graphics card to supply imaging. I have been monitoring temps of cpu and gpus for a long time as i'm interested in how the system ran - these have always been within mid range (cpu max mid 50s gpu 70s) and never been a cause for concern.

Yesterday the big monitor developed thin fuzzy horizontal lines that moved up and down slightly but the small one didn't. I suspected monitor issues because the lines were on the big screen even though it wasn't connected to the pooter. Just to check I ran a graphics card driver update. it installed but afterwards I couldn't bring up the nvidia control panel.

I then ran dxdiag. this told me that the graphics card had a problem and to look up "Graphics device driver Code 43". I did this and on the Microsoft site it says it could be one of many things...motherboard...Windows...graphics driver....graphics card.

I looked on device manager and a graphics card was showing a warning triangle, the details said that it was not connected.

I tried a few swaps with monitors and graphics cards but the issue got worse and last night I couldn't get the pooter to go from bios to windows.

This morning the situation is the same. I loaded bios defaults but it didn't have any effect. I don't have a graphics connector on the rear panel so I can't plug a monitor in to check anything independently of the graphics cards.

Ant ideas?

System:

AsusX99-A/USB 3.1 motherboard

Intel i7 5840 socket LGA2011 v3

Win10 Home

32gb ddr4 RAM 

Corsair 850 watt power supply

1070 FTW graphics card/s with 8gb vRAM each

Asus 27" monitor 144hz running at 2560 x 1440

Cheerzen

• Confused 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Oh dear... now that's not good...

I'd try and go for an as minimal as possible config to start with:

- only one 1070 in the case, monitor connected to it.

- only one memory module 

- No drives connected, or any other devices: well, a keyboard might be a good idea.

Depending on results (error messages) I'd work from there: Hook up the boot disk (SSD?) - retry. etc.... step by step. See what gives. Do you have a laptop or anyway to get on TS? Oh wait, the weather's too nice for this stuff :) 

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

@ crash...no I don't

@ FT Following the process of elimination you described it appears that there is an issue with the graphics somewhere. Maybe a Windows driver update that has caused a problem? The pooter boots up fine now but I still have the lines on the display port monitor so I am doing everything on the DVI connected monitor that doesn't have the lines.

I can't update the graphics driver. I have done a clean install. In 'Device Manager' the only device that is showing a fault is under 'Display adaptors' and is the graphics card. looking at it's Properties and opening Events I get the attached information.

Any idea?

graphics fault 20 Apr 19[530].jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

There are 2 usable pcie slots on the mobo. Either card in either slot creates the same issues. Perhaps both cards are broken? I don't have another pcie card to check.

I don't understand why the nvidia driver isn't installing, that's what makes me think the issue is mobo.

I don't have an error code on the mobo, it is showing AA which means all is well apparently.

I can't find any reference to the information given in device manager on the internet.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hmmm.... Have you tried uninstall the video device from the device manager, and remove its driver as well?

The shutdown, restart PC

Would be weird if both cards were broken...  Is the DP cable and monitor connected to the card in this situation? Maybe the DP cable or monitor has an issue and feeds back the problem to Windows? Easy check, disconnect it :)

If you have a spare harddisk or SSD, I'd connect that, and install W10 freshly on it. Should be fast, and it will then tell you whether it's a Windows issue or a hardware issue.

Similar to what Crash stated: you could try and run Ubuntu from a USB stick, and see how that works - with DP and all ... 

• 1. DDz Quorum

Excellent progress. Uninstalled device, removed drivers, cleared out nvidia driver folder from c drive. Rebooted and have DP monitor without lines, have nvidia control panel and 2 monitors running. Pooter installed nvidia driver version 399.07 which doesn't appear to be very old so I'll keep it for the next few days...maybe for good if it all works ok.

Going to reinstall the RAM and gradually put things back, rebooting and checking.

Looks like a corruption of the nvidia files took place somewhere along the line.

Thanks FT and Crash 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

The pooter runs very smoothly but I think the monitor is in the process of leaving us.....

The lines reappeared this morning and I have slightly blurred text. It doesn't prevent me doing anything but the colour and clarity isn't what it should be. Apparently these issues are common in this monitor although the posts on the interweb were 2014/15. What is a nuisance was the way in whatever happened caused the nvidia driver issues. Those are sorted now...still running the earlier version from 2018 but may well update at some point if there is a need although everything I run predates the driver anyway.

I won't be running SLI as I don't need to now, I think those days are over. A single 1070 is fine for 2k monitors and high refresh rates so I am thinking about replacing the monitor before something explodes....

Cheerzen

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, Crash said:

Of course you could always buy a second hand Rift instead of a monitor :)

That I could.....dilemma....ooooh. Wouldn't need a high spec monitor if I'm flying with a Rift.

• 1. DDz Quorum
33 minutes ago, Crash said:

And if you dont like it you will know, and be able to sell on putting the funds towards an 4K monitor and super graphics card to drive it :) I might be a bad influence again ;)

Not a bad influence, just the 'Voice of Unreason' :)

• Haha 1