Default key bindings for F-14

Crash

• 1. DDz Quorum

Depends on your hardware Dave;

Warthog users get a fairly comprehensive and apparently logical mapping.

I, on the other hand, with my cosmopolitan selection of hardware elements, did not.

What you looking for specifically? Recommendations of what to map to your HOTAS as priority controls?

Have a look at 'Spudknocker' on YouTube.He has a vid on HOTAS setup covering the bare essentials.I have a CH Combat stick and CH Throttle.

Plenty of buttons and switches to cover the necessary! All I did was put DCS on Windows mode and worked my way through adding the necessary as he worked his way through.

You can add others as you get on with the big bus?

• 1 month later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Start-up: I just use the clickable cockpit buttons as mapping these would be a waste of something more usefully at your fingertips in combat or wanted in a hurry, i.e. during landing or refuelling (and there's a great deal of those...!)

Taxying: having the "Nosewheel Steering" button handy seems a good idea, particularly for airbase ops with their concurrent takeoff/landing rolls but on the boat I find using the default keyboard bind fine as it's generally on and I leave it there.

Takeoff: "Wing Sweep Auto", "Full Flaps", "Master Reset Button [for the CADC]" would be my go to choices here. You might able to bind the "Manual Sweep Override Lever" but I find it fine - and satisfying - to use the clickable cockpit. Having all your Trims to your HOTAS mapped is a must, as in all flight regimes you'll be tickling them regularly, particularly pitch.

"Launch catapult" is a potential but as you'll only ever need it in that specific situation on one or two occasions in a given mission, why not leave it on the keyboard? most of us have moved it to the Spacebar however, as with a joystick, the default binding for that button to "Trigger" makes it moot and it's a darn sight easier to access than the "LShift+U" combination that the launch command is on by default.

"Retract Gear" for once airbourne also recommended, but again, if buttons at a premium, you should only need that on two occasions during an entire mission, so...

Landing: The usual run of commands to get your a/c in dirty config for landing, ("Gear Down", Flaps Down", etc). "Hook", sure, but again, it's nicely accessible clickably in 'pit, and you should be getting it down well before you commence the pattern so it shouldn't be coming at a moment of task saturation (unless you forgot it!) and you'll only use it once, so is it worth a HOTAS button? Your call.

What I will say is "Speedbrake In/Out" is essential on your HOTAS, and if you have the buttons, "Activate DLC" and the associated "DLC Thumbwheel Up/Down" would also stand you in very good stead.

Weapon systems..  now there's a can o' worms. I'll elaborate more on those later....

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, a click pit is a bit awkward in VR until the pointcontrol is here and operational. At present all I want to do is launch and land on the carrier so I will be setting things up over the next week or so :)