DIY Pendular Rudder Pedals

PropNut

So, I wanted a new set of rudder pedals; my Siatek combat pro set were getting on my final nerve. 

Then I saw something that made my heart bleep dedey bleep. The new Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder System.

thrustmaster_2960809_tpr_pedals_1531330546000_1419739.jpg

Wow, I really liked the way they look....and then I saw the price. And I gulped, gasped, and coughed. 550.00 USD.....ouch.

So. I made my own for 20.00 USD :D

The black 3D printed bits here and there are mostly housings for heavy duty flange bearings that I had a box of in the shop. More bearings inside the brake pedals to keep things smooth. The center hall effect pivot is a 1/4" bolt with skate bearings supporting it on both sides of the steel arm. 

This thing is unbelievably smooth and strong. The adjustable springs make it easy for me to dial in the tension that I want from none at all to some type of Russian interwar years experimental biplane experience (think East German Womens weightlifting leg exercise machine)

The brake pedals are equally adjustable from tension to the angle position. Took me two weeks to reverse engineer thrustmaster's design and build this but well worth every second. If my own rough work is any indicator of how good the Thrustmaster pedals are, and you can afford them, go get em. This thing is amazing. 

IMG_20190302_201832138.jpg 

Started with some pictures of the spendy set, and created a solidworks model to see how to make things fit.

tprdiagram.png 

Assem1.JPG 

Realized that I needed some linear hall effect sensors...so I designed some using a magnet and hall effect IC. 

potentiometer assembly.JPGIMG_20190302_201931307.jpg 

Tossed in yet another Teensy ++ 2.0 and kicked it with a touch of MMJOY2. 

Adjustable throw for the rudder and tensioning system. 

IMG_20190302_201952605.jpg

IMG_20190302_201922717.jpg 

IMG_20190302_201858260.jpg

Total out of pocket? 20.00 USD :Ddid I mention that?! :D

I might canabalize my Saitek combat pro's for the really nice brake pedals in install them on my new rudder system. My pedals look a little crude...but they really do a nice job. Need to think about that for a while.

• Like 3

Sorry for the late response Crash. Yes I have seen that before, I am a moderator at XSimulator.net. Nice rig.

On my own 6DoF; the guy that is selling me my motors should have them off his rig by today and I am supposed to pick them on in Detroit on Thursday. He as messed me about before on this so I am not holding my breath. I already have five motors (three on my driving simpit) and he is selling me all six of his. Worse comes to worse I will have to wait until I find another matching motor and use the five that I already have. Course if I do get these six motors I will of course still find a sixth matching motor and turn my driving simpit from 3DoF to 6 DoF of course :D

• 11 months later...