ethics question.

Should you continue shooting on a target that is going down?  what are your personal ethics regarding this matter? 

Don't you think my plane was damaged enough to stop continued attack?

I think if a plane is obviously going down and the engine is knocked out, you should stop all attacks.

• 2. Administrators

Personally I think it's poor form, but mainly it's a waste of ammunition on the attacker's part. You'll find that when you're flying 'full switch' with limited ammo, people will generally break off an attack when they think their target is done. Doesn't apply to everyone though.

• Thanks 1

This is not as simple as it seems. Towards the end of the war attitudes changed. Killing the airplane was the primary objective. However, if the pilot could return in another aircraft a few days later, then all niceties went south. Pilots were so few and valued that they became the primary objective. Sad. But reality.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 10:54 PM, Jabo said:

Personally I think it's poor form, but mainly it's a waste of ammunition on the attacker's part. You'll find that when you're flying 'full switch' with limited ammo, people will generally break off an attack when they think their target is done. Doesn't apply to everyone though.

and any height advantage is lost following target down. I never worried much about ammo in games until il-2

On 1/4/2019 at 8:13 AM, Painless said:

Wish someone had told me that in 2006 ! ?

Hey Crashes, just curious, are you an old git like most of us or what ?

Im abit younger. I played alot of Warthunder arcade before this game.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, DD_Sheriff said:

This is not as simple as it seems. Towards the end of the war attitudes changed. Killing the airplane was the primary objective. However, if the pilot could return in another aircraft a few days later, then all niceties went south. Pilots were so few and valued that they became the primary objective. Sad. But reality.

I guess it is sad. But, if you are defending from imminent invasion like in BOB, might make it abit easier.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:12 AM, il2crashesnfails said:

any height advantage is lost following target down

A major point.  Altitude can be transferred into airspeed.  It wasn't until the advent of radar and radar guided missiles aboard fighters that the advantages of starting a fight low came into play in earnest.  Case in point, one (or both) of the F-14 engagements against the Libyans in the 1980s saw the F-14s going low on purpose, both to mask themselves against the sea from the Libyans' radars, but also giving their own radars a clean, uncluttered background upon which to see the Libyans.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:12 AM, il2crashesnfails said:

Pilots were so few and valued that they became the primary objective.

Absolutely.  There are numerous accounts of pilots getting shot down over their own territory who were up flying and fighting again within days, sometimes the same day.

• Like 1