Any here know how to fly He-111 on one engine?

Hello Mr. Crashes.

I think going back to first principles would help;   to keep out of the way of AA fire fly higher.  AA accuracy obviously decreases the further away the target is. 

I'm no sort of expert but I seem to recall that it was a basic Luftwaffe design requirement that all twin engine aircraft had to be able to maintain altitude on one engine?   Certainly you can on the HE 111.

Firstly,  make sure you have ditched any bomb load.  Set the working engine to combat power and open water radiator and oil cooler shutters on that engine to at least half open.  On the dead engine close the radiator shutters fully and feather the prop.  This will help reduce drag.

Now concentrate on flying smoothly and steadily.  Use rudder trim to compensate for the loss of an engine.  If you have to make a turn, make sure it is a gentle one and only turn into the good engine.  ie;  make sure the working engine is on the inside of the turn.  Try to climb gently if you find yourself below 500m and keep a steady watch on the engine temperatures on the working engine as combat power is only available for a limited time.

Hope this helps.:salute:    

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Feather the prop of the engine that was knocked out. It will reduce a lot of drag, and maybe you could have kept it in the air and attempt a landing on a airfield. 

Gear up/down? I am not sure. The airframe is a write off anyways, so in the end you did well as you and your crew survived ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Hello Mr. Crashes.

I think going back to first principles would help;   to keep out of the way of AA fire fly higher.  AA accuracy obviously decreases the further away the target is. 

I'm no sort of expert but I seem to recall that it was a basic Luftwaffe design requirement that all twin engine aircraft had to be able to maintain altitude on one engine?   Certainly you can on the HE 111.

Firstly,  make sure you have ditched any bomb load.  Set the working engine to combat power and open water radiator and oil cooler shutters on that engine to at least half open.  On the dead engine close the radiator shutters fully and feather the prop.  This will help reduce drag.

Now concentrate on flying smoothly and steadily.  Use rudder trim to compensate for the loss of an engine.  If you have to make a turn, make sure it is a gentle one and only turn into the good engine.  ie;  make sure the working engine is on the inside of the turn.  Try to climb gently if you find yourself below 500m and keep a steady watch on the engine temperatures on the working engine as combat power is only available for a limited time.

Hope this helps.:salute:    

I was bombing some boats I really cant hit them when high up so i come own alot. I  didnt ditch the remaining bombs like you mentioned.

4 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

I was bombing some boats I really cant hit them when high up so i come own alot. I  didnt ditch the remaining bombs like you mentioned.

In real life,  such a task would be assigned to either fighter bombers like the FW190 or dive bombers like the JU 87 as they would be much more accurate against smaller targets and less vulnerable to AA fire.

• Like 1