32gb vs. 16gb ram

Gypsy

Anyone running 32gbs who has run 16gb ram in the same machine with no other changes and notice any improvement or performance of anything during game? Especially DCS. Due to the limitation of my B150 motherboard, I am stuck with 2133mhz DDR4. I have found matching Kingston Hyper with the same latency for $144USD for a 16gb set (down from $185USD. I don't feel like upgradeding my MB, CUP and all new memory just to get faster clock speeds, do I am looking to squeeze a little more out without breaking the bank.

Current specs are: I5-6600 GTX 1080, 16gb 2133mhz ram (2 8s), 250gb ssd, 500gb ssd and a 1tb 7200 rpm HDD (for back up), 1440p, 144mhz, 1ms, Gsync monitor. All the ram is 14-14-14 (both existing and future buy).

Thoughts,  suggestions?

Don't get me wrong, I am running 05% of all settings at high to ultra with minimal to no issues.

Thanks!

• 1. DDz Quorum

I went from 16 to 32 a couple of months ago, keeping the same type and speed of RAM. I didn't have any gains in mind other than DCS and other programmes are recommending 32 gig as the optimal amount to have when running their stuff under load so I did it for that because I like to be optimal with my hardware and give it room to manoeuvre. After having it in the pooter and using it a lot since installation I only have a couple of observations because there has been little to observe:

1. No noticeable increase in load times, visuals, handling either to BoS or DCS or any programme. On my pooter '46 and BoS are quick loaders and DCS is usually slow. BoS settings are ultra whilst DCS is a mixture of high and medium settings, these giving me frame rates in the 90s and low 100s
  2. the pooter feels more stable in general, feeling smoother and I don't get the occasional 'overclocking warning' from my Asus X99 motherboard I used to have with 16 gig. This was cleared by going into the bios and changing the RAM setting from XMP back to auto, something it did on it's own sometimes after the pooter had been under load ie. playing 46, BoS or DCS for a few hours.

My view is that whilst I can't see any noticeable gains I am happy that, along with my other hardware, I have more than enough RAM to cope with anything my programmes ask of it for a few years to come and that everything is working better in the background.

To give clarity, my other hardware, mostly two years plus old, is:

• Asus X99-A motherboard
  • Intel i7 5720 running at 3.3ghz
  • 32 gig of Corsair 3000 MHz Vengeance RAM 
  • 850 watt Corsair power supply
  • 2 x asus 1070gtx FTW in SLI
  • Creative Fatality soundcard
  • Asus 27" 2560 x 1440 144hz monitor with Gsync and secondary BenQ 19" monitor 

Cheerzen

• Like 1

Thanks Sid...great information and it seems like I could benefit from the increase in ram...now if they would just get off the current price point or I will wait until after Christmas. The older 2133mhz stuff is hard to find at times and when you do find it, it tends to be 30-40 bucks higher than the 2400+ faster stuff.

Thanks again.

P.S. I fell asleep right after I posted my question last nite and woke up to your answer this morning ???!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have been watching 16gb of matching Hyper X Fury ram on Amazon for the past 7 months, watching the price drop from $190 to as low as $130. The day after Christmas the price inched up to $139. Today it shot back up to $189. Checked a couple of other places and the ram is running $160-$180. Since this is 2133 stuff I guess there is not much call for it. Maybe Kingston is not making it anymore so stock is low and sellers are gonna gouge us that need it. Finding matching speed/latency ram is tuff and if I want to change to another 32gb kit, the prices a stupid high.

Anyhow, checked the Amazon Warehouse and found "Used - like new" 16gb (2x8) for $111.00, so I bought some. Got 30 days to try it and return if necessary.. $111 is close to what I paid for the original 16gb 2 years ago and I can live with that if the ram functions okay.

So in the realm of "famous last words", I am done "upgrading" ?!

Received my "used - like new" 16gb of matching ram yesterday and installed it today. It was recognized and a quick verification in the bios, system booted and so far all is good. Of course, I really don't see much difference, but DCS & GB still work. Don't know that I will ever "need" 32gb, but what the heck, it's there if I do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1