Time to cobble something together for christmas

DD_Arthur

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the rest of my click and collect bits and bobs from ebay are awaiting me at my local Sainsburys.  If my head stops throbbing I might amble over and pick them up today.

I'm installing a new mobo, cpu and ram.  My gtx970 card and 500gb hd will be put back in and I'm also installing a 480gb SSD as E drive.

My plan is to put BoX and DCS on the SSD and retain everything else on the old hd.

Is this a good idea and should I expect to have to phone Microsoft to confirm my copy of Windows10?

• 1. DDz Quorum
45 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

OK, the rest of my click and collect bits and bobs from ebay are awaiting me at my local Sainsburys.  If my head stops throbbing I might amble over and pick them up today.

I'm installing a new mobo, cpu and ram.  My gtx970 card and 500gb hd will be put back in and I'm also installing a 480gb SSD as E drive.

My plan is to put BoX and DCS on the SSD and retain everything else on the old hd.

Is this a good idea and should I expect to have to phone Microsoft to confirm my copy of Windows10?

I think it's a very good idea you ambling over to Sainsbury's, yes. You may well end up looking like a lot of the others imitating the walking dead as they do the same....

• Haha 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
56 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Me thinks best to create two partitions on the new disk, one for (a fresh install of) windows, and one for BoX and DCS.

That's what I'd do... And probably, you will need MS's help regarding the licensing...

There is a trick you could try - sign in with your or a Microsoft account to the current Pc, to 'register' the current W10 license with that account, then swap motherboard and stuff - boot from the current disk/OS, login with your Microsoft account again.

Next, put in the SSD and disconnect the 500GB disk, reinstall W10 from scratch, login with your Ms account. Later, hook the 500GB back up. Now I am far from sure whether this would work, but I just needed to share my creative thought process here :)

1 hour ago, FoolTrottel said:

Me thinks best to create two partitions on the new disk, one for (a fresh install of) windows, and one for BoX and DCS.

That's what I'd do... And probably, you will need MS's help regarding the licensing...

There is a trick you could try - sign in with your or a Microsoft account to the current Pc, to 'register' the current W10 license with that account, then swap motherboard and stuff - boot from the current disk/OS, login with your Microsoft account again.

Next, put in the SSD and disconnect the 500GB disk, reinstall W10 from scratch, login with your Ms account. Later, hook the 500GB back up. Now I am far from sure whether this would work, but I just needed to share my creative thought process here :)

Hmmm.....see Sid's comment above on the walking dead........?

Are we generally saying it's best to have the O/S on the SSD?

• Haha 1

• 2. Administrators

That's pretty much how I set my rig up Arthur although I went a step further - SSD split into 2 partitions - OS in one, games in the other. I also move the Users folder to a separate HDD using the Windows Sysprep utility so I can reinstall the OS without needing to additionally back up my data/games first.

Of course, all of the above presupposes a working rig in the first place which is eluding me at present.

OK, it's that time of year where I get confused over what day of the week it is.  I have a vague feeling that its back to school on Monday.

Therefore, what better than to start building a new pc in the middle of the night!:rolleyes:

IMG-2182.jpg

Got a lovely big case with some really good ideas about cable routing since I last did a build.  Power supply goes downstairs, well away from the cooler in this set up.  As usual I managed to fit the IO shield upside down first try and then trapped the fan cables behind it on the second.

IMG-2184.jpg

I knew I had a spare, new DVD writer from years ago in my big box of redundant computer bits but was disappointed when I found out it had a white front panel.  Then ecstatic to find in the box a spare front panel in black.  One hour later I had successfully fitted the black panel without breaking anything:).

IMG-2183.jpg

Tomorrow - take a deep breath and rip out the PSU, HD and GTX970 out of my old system and bung it in here with all the rest of the gubbins and then I expect I'll have to 'phone my mate Bill Gates so he can have a rummage in there too.

Hopefully.......

Oh yeah; as you can see, it's an SLI capable board.  Do you think I should mount the graphics card in the top or bottom slot?  The CPU is going to be liquid cooled and I'm not sure yet whether the radiator is going to be bolted to the fan next to the left hand side or one of the two fans that live in the top of the case.

IMG-2185.jpg

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators

Re: GPU - If it's a single card and you've mounted the mobo the right way up then 99.99 times out of a hundred it'll be the top slot you want (it's usually x16 whereas the others might be x8). Check the instructions for the liquid cooler - don't forget that your key driver is to blow the coolest air you can through the rad so if the fans on the top are exhaust fans (as most are) then your rad needs to go somewhere else - my rig has two intake fans at the back either side of the rad in a sort of pushmepullyou arrangement. Here's what that looks like out of the case (ignore the dust please - it'll be cleaned before it goes back in).

IMG_0981.JPG

• 2. Administrators

In a further twist to my rig saga, Scan have now tested the mobo and found that it is not faulty so now I have to RMA the CPU and they'll test the two together - I have to confess that right now I wish I'd never started this.

In an effort to extract a grain of comfort from the whole debacle, everything they have suggested to narrow down the faulty item I have already done so...

• Confused 1

• 2. Administrators

Weeeeell, the cabling from the PSU to the board, cpu, drives and gpu are all the same ones that were working flawlessly on my old setup (and have been tested again since), all the sata cables to the drives are new and high spec and all the fans were reported as working correctly and PWM was working on the board when I originally installed it so I think I have that covered.

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators

Finally, in the case of my stricken (and strucken) gaming rig, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Surprisingly, it turns out that the processor is faulty and even as I type, the fine folks at Scan are packaging up my board and a new processor ready to send back to me.

• Like 3

• 2. Administrators

Oh for f**ks sake. Having spoken to Scan this morning, it turns out that the i7-9700K is out of stock and has been since the 21st December and they don't know when they're getting any more. And no one saw fit to tell me before now...:BangHead:

• Sad 1

• 2. Administrators
3 hours ago, Sid said:

Are they prepared to give you an equivalent board and processor?

No.

What they are doing is sending me back the original (non-faulty) board and after a bit of a row, they’ve agreed to give me a full refund for the processor so I’ve ordered a new processor from a different supplier for £30 less! And that will arrive tomorrow.

Bijou updatette: Board is with the courier on its way back too and the refund for the processor has also been done!

• Like 4

• 2. Administrators

Burn test #1 complete (12 hours)

idle temps < 30 deg C on CPU and < 40 deg C on GPU -  CPU fans < 500rpm - GPU fans off

load temps < 70 deg C on CPU and < 90 deg C on GPU - CPU fans < 1000rpm and GPU fans < 700rpm

No overclock, XMP profile 1, no fan profile (all PWM).

So far so good.

• Like 2