Time to cobble something together for christmas

DD_Arthur

Just been on evilbay and made a bid on a used Intel i5 3570k and Asrock Z77 extreme4 mobo bundle - wiv' a big cooler.  It all looks very very exciting:)

Does anyone have any experience with one of these CPUs?

Target overclock will be 4.5GhzB) 

If i win I might even treat myself to a new case!

18 hours ago, PropNut said:

Didn't know you wanted one, I have an i7 3930x w/16gb ram with self contained water cooler that I ran at 4.5 that you could have had for postage.

Well I didn't win the auction on Ebay so PropNut I'd be very interested in your i7 3930.  Could I pm you?

@Crash, thats very kind of you too.  I'm going to have to have some sort of RAM audit as I seem to have plenty but not sure what speeds as it's a bit of a mix and mash.

:thumbsup:

Absolutely.

Need to figure out shipping but I do have a couple of boxes around that should be perfect. I will separate the water cooler from the motherboard to make it easier. 

Let me know in PM what your address is so I can find a price for shipping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum
5 hours ago, Jabo said:

I'm considering an upgrade to this (assuming my Christmas bonus comes in) - worth the money?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-z370-overclocked-bundle-intel-core-i7-8700k-coffee-lake-asus-tuf-z370-plus-16gb-ddr4-be-quiet!-d

I did something quite similar earlier this year. Worth the money? Dunno, will depend how much else you can't do?  Mind you, it was not too long after the upgrade that I spent a similar amount of money to upgrade from a 970 to a 1080. All runs fine, but on 1080p resolution it feels a bit like overkill now :sheepsmile::bouncy:

• 2. Administrators

I'm not sure there's much I can't do right now, the 980GTX is still going strong (just as well, I'm still paying for it), but the i5-2500K is getting a bit long in the tooth so maybe time for a change - I'm not considering VR at the moment so I'm not maxing the graphics at this point.

If Sid still has the memory available, I'd save a few quid and buy the bits separately - I have a compatible water cooler so don't require the big air.

• 2. Administrators

I've got OS installation withdrawal symptoms Arthur. Windows 10 has been super reliable so I haven't felt the need - so a major upgrade seems to be the sensible time.

It'll be fun...

• 2. Administrators

Interesting, I hadn't realised we'd gone for the same CPU - what mainboard chipset did you go for? Z370 or Z390?

I don't think I have a problem with reconfiguring the sims, as they are all installed in folders off my system drive. I should be able to install windows, add the shortcuts back in and Robert is your mother's brother.

It won't work like that of course - I suspect I'll be installing the bloody lot, but hey ho.

I'm just debating at the moment when I shall do the work - I have a fortnight off at Chrimbo so that would be best but the stuff is due on Tuesday so...

• 2. Administrators

Z390, bit silly not to really imo, although it's really only usb 3.1 support extra at the moment. 

Went for an ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO, excellent board for overclocking.

Re chips, its only the i7 9900k that's 'better' Intel wise. Costs a lot more money, and runs hotter when overclocked...

• 2. Administrators
5 hours ago, fruitbat said:

Z390, bit silly not to really imo, although it's really only usb 3.1 support extra at the moment. 

Went for an ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO, excellent board for overclocking.

Re chips, its only the i7 9900k that's 'better' Intel wise. Costs a lot more money, and runs hotter when overclocked...

I went for a Z370 board simply to keep the cost down, there was no way I could afford to spend £150 more on the 9900K so the Z390 didn't seem to offer enough to offset the price although I get your point. I'm not considering anything more than a very light overclock once I'm happy that everything is good, so a solid, reliable board was all that was important. You've got a great setup there with that board and processor Kev!