Need more gigs

Gypsy

My current game drive is a 500gb ssd (D: drive) . As of today, I have 183gb free. Just noted that IF I decide to get the F-14, it needs 120gb of disk space. With that in mind, I am considering getting an M.2 1tb ssd and move everything to that. Not my OS, it is on its own 120gb ssd (C: drive). Not sure what I will use the empty 500gb ssd for, but I am sure it will be used. I do have a conventional 2tb hdd (E: drive) that I use as a back up for data. Anyone see any obvious problems with this? And yes, my motherboard has the M.2 slot. Thanks in advance.

• 1. DDz Quorum

No  obviuos problems me thinks.

Just a tip to add: If indeed you will be cleaning out the 500gb SDD, do a small test first: before adding the new disk, try and boot the system without the 500GB SSD connected and see whether it will start. From what I've seen, the UEFI technique could be using the 500GB for booting. Even if it does not state so in BIOS.(I've done some disk upgrades, all looking fine and good, then remove/format the old disk, and see windows unable to boot. Not a nice thing to experience - You think you are all done and set and ready, and next .... )

And be careful, should you need to some disk-management / partitioning, and that 2TB backup disk is still in the system... make sure it has a clear and meaningful Volume Label - I've seen backup disks/partitions being cleaned up by mistake, just because once windows was in 'trouble' and it needed some repair procedure, it had changed drive letter assignments so like what previously was drive E:, suddenly shows up as D:, the drive you thought you needed to clean up :) Mind you, just all pre-cautionary tips this... Should anything go differently than planned - it can all go very wrong very fast while trying to repair stuff!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Gypsy m8, are you sure about this?

DCS certainly IS a big install but 120Gb just for one plane?  i know it comes with extra stuff but..........

I will go back and check, but that is what I read at a glance when reading up on the F-14 on DCS World's site. It very well could have been referring to DCS in its entirety and not just the aircraft. Thanks for making me revisit the specs.

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Gypsy m8, are you sure about this?

DCS certainly IS a big install but 120Gb just for one plane?  i know it comes with extra stuff but..........

Another misread on my part. Went back and read a little more carefully. The 120gb is recommended space for the DCS 2.5 if running everything on high settings, not just the F-14. With that in mind, I should be okay. Will do some house keeping on the game drive too free up some space even tho I have plenty. Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators

Just FYI Bill, that 120GB refers to the HDD space required by the game if you are running at max settings. That does not take into account the amount of disk space DCS and the modules take up. I don't know what size the install for the big cat is but my DCS install + 6 modules comes in at just under 30GB. Make sure you have that 120GB free on your SSD and everything should be fine.

• Like 1

Cleaned up a bit and with all that I have I am coming in around ~50gb for DCS. So even if I add the F-14 and the Gulf map, the 182gb I have free should be just fine. I may just add a 500gb M.2 sata ssd for grins. Thanks for the assistance.