In 1946 I don't fly with visual icons on but being as I'm just starting out in BoS I'm finding them somewhat useful to help me acclimate myself to the game.
I installed a mod which got rid of those annoying "Wonder Woman" arrows at the edge of the screen that tell you where to look for both friend and foe and has changed to plane icons from those big wedges to very small triagles with not plane info.  I am learning about the tech icons on the side and what they are telling me.

But what is that big yellow teardrop and that yellow diamond in front of me?  If I aim for the diamond I become a lawn dart.  
And how would I get rid of them?

So far I have figured out that 'H' clears all icons and HUD info.  Right now I like having the HUD on the bottom that telss me at a glance my speed, heading and how much ammo I have left.

Finally, is there a way to get rid of all icons but not the HUD?

TIA.

Icons.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Beebop, the yellow diamond is a game 'Aiming assist' for rockets.  Getting this diamond in your sight and following it means you will go into a dive and become a lawn dart unless you pull up....

There is also a bombing assist, a yellow circle, so in an IL2 for example loaded with bombs and rockets you will have both visible. They are good for learning with.

The teardrop is a waypoint indicator showing you heading to the next one. If you are attacking something it is red over the target.

The aiming assists and the waypoint indicators can be switched off in the 'Realism' page available when you are in the first mission screen. It is down bottom right of the screen, click on it and it takes you to a settings screen.

Cheerzen

Thank you!  That was not explained in any of the manuals or posts I read.  (or my advanced age allowed me to overlook it ? )

So for the diamond, when you approach the target put the diamond over the object and fire rockets.  I'll give that a try.  I'll have to admit my rockets have not been too effective so far.

And the teardrop is a waypoint indicator.  OK.  Usually if a waypoint map is shown at some time during the briefing I jot down notes about the headings or guesstimate them and that has worked before.

And a big thank you for telling me where I can turn these assists on and off.  I'm beginning to get the hang of this I think.

One final question, I know that with IL-2 46 that the online host sets the difficulty level, icons, map paths, cockpit only view etc  Is GB the same?

I must say you Dogz are a helpful bunch, just like I remember you to be.  Thanks again for the help.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I think the waypoints are displayed well and give you the right info easily seen. This is the briefing from a Ju52 mission showing the waypoints from take off to landing, pretty self explanatory I think.

I also think that the written stuff that is part of the briefing is getting better (to the right of the map, not included here). This mission is by JadeMonkey, a third party, not done by the developers, and is good fun.

Yep, the host sets the difficulty levels but afaik a pilot can choose whether to have speedbar/aiming assists on or off - I think. We are still learning here ;)

Ju52 waypoints.jpg