DCS F-14A/B Pre-order Now Available at Heatblur

Kira

• 2 weeks later...

As I have no life outside the house and a wife that cheers me on, my only regret will be not getting enough stick time in AC that are not the F14s. There is gonna so much to learn. At least for us Warthog HOTAS users, key mapping (according to the video) should be easy(ish).

6 hours ago, Gypsy said:

At least for us Warthog HOTAS users, key mapping (according to the video) should be easy(ish).

Already done, Gypsy.  It's the only stick that will already be mapped upon release.  Others will follow, but the Warthog will be read out the gate.

Note the glove vanes, just aft of the cockpit in the drawing at 4:50.  More glove vanes at 8:45.

Fun fact: It's widely believed that the F-14B and GE-110 engines came about from a flight by SecNav John Lehman with a legendary F-14 pilot, callsign Hoser.  He took the SecNav up for a mock dogfight, had BOTH TF-30s stall out in the middle of the fight (glider time!), but did as they'd been doing all along: a quick restart, without even enough time lost to loose position in the fight.  Hoser (Joe Satrapa)'s statement over the ICS was something along the lines of "Mr. Secretary, this is the bullshit we have to deal with all the time with these damn TF-30s."

• 1. DDz Quorum

I have to say that if any aircraft could tempt me into the wizarding world of DCS, it would be the Tomcat !

A weekly DDz session dedicated to F14 carrier missions would be bloody fantastic..... calling the ball because it’s lost that loving feeling would give me the need for speed ?

• Like 2

Painless et al, if you're serious, then I rather recommend the acquisition of the F/A-18 sooner rather than later.  It doesn't have the bomb trucking capability of the A-10C, but it is a carrier aircraft and can get you "in the groove" of carrier flying before moving to the Tomkitty.  I will say that it is considerably more advanced than the F-14, (late 70's early 80's tech vs mid 60's early 70's tech) but on the other hand, real world pilots were required to have serious hours in the F/A-18, F-16, or one other (which I don't remember) before even being put on the selection list for Tomcat training.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thanks Kira, I would indeed consider following that path because we already have four sims in which you can fly WW2 aircraft so for the sake of variety  flying a modern jet like the F14 really appeals to me : )

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Best get memorising that start-up sequence, lads. Holy Shiiii…….!

https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-heatblur-f-14b-tomcat-preview/

Done:

:sheepsmile:

Oh dear, just this little snippet .... lol ... oh my. I will sit back and watch it all happen ... It's a brilliant JET aircraft, but way too much for me to handle!

"Set the Emergency Wing Sweep Handle all the way forward to 20 degrees (scroll mousewheel or left click & drag), then push the lever down with a right click and flip the handle cover over it. Then, press the MASTER RESET button (very important or the AUTO mode will not work properly). Use the Wing Sweep AFT & FWD buttons on your Wing Sweep Thumb switch (throttle) to exercise the wings through their whole range of motion. Then, set the Wing Sweep Thumb Switch UP to AUTO mode. The Wing Sweep Angle indicator should then automatically set themselves to 20 deg."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
57 minutes ago, FoolTrottel said:

Oh dear, just this little snippet .... lol ... oh my. I will sit back and watch it all happen ... It's a brilliant JET aircraft, but way too much for me to handle!

Lol!

Methinks that "LWin+Home" will become all Tomcat owners new most memorised key! 

Oh, they'll start with the best intentions...

"Only 248 steps to startup - I can do this! "

… 30 minutes later, no engines lit

"Bugger this for a ball of chalk. What the devil is that auto-start key binding?!?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Yes,I will admit to favoring the Lwin+Home shuffle when it comes to the Hornet! I just want to get in the air whilst I can still remember how to

fire a particular weapon,having watched a YouTube vid 5 mins ago? 

The pressure will be on when there is a cue at the cat whilst you are still working your way through no 150 on the list.Everyone will be having to 

tank shortly after leaving the carrier!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1