A10A/A10C

Gypsy

For those that may have one (or more) of these, other than the obvious, what is/are the advantage(s) (or lack thereof) of these models in game? The A model is $15 USD and the C model is $60 USD. Just curious at this point. Thanks!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Bill,

A-10A is a Flaming Cliffs module - it has the high fidelity flight model but simplified systems, with NO clickable cockpit. As such it has more limited armament and targeting functionality. However it is still FUN.

A-10C is a full on DCS hardcore, melt your grey matter, take-you-years to fully understand, clickable cockpit and ALL the bombs + a cool targeting pod, module. It's an investment of time and practise, but the payoff is it's more rewarding, flexible to operate and you can undertake a wider range of mission types.

You could the A-10A first to get used to concepts of ground attack flying in the modern air war idiom and then move on to the -C later... but in some regards, the sooner you start on the -C the sooner you get proficient. 

Either way happy to give you all the advice and training you need to get ordnance off the rails and into the enemy ground units!

• Like 1

Thanks Fen! Exactly what I was looking for info wise. I know I said I probably would not go beyond what I have (F86-F5) but I like doing the mud moving thing now and then and the A10 would add an extra layer above the F5. Waiting on sale time to get the -C. Of course it would be an excuse to get the Warthog HOTAS ??!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well dipping my toes in the newer stuff. Keeping it simple for now. Bought the A10A and the F15. Complicated enough for now and I will save what brain cells I have left for the F-14. I see a Warthog Hotas in my future..maybe around black Friday..

• Like 2

Well done Bill.I am going to make do with what I have got at the moment.If I want to fly an A-10 then I fly my FSX version with TakPack.

That will then leave the remaining grey matter for the  F-14 {I must have been under the influence  !!} and for keeping an eye on those pesky 109's?

• Like 1

The A-10 is a lot of fun, welcome to the Hog club Bill! I only have the A as part of FC3 and it's enough for me at the moment. Especially with the Harrier taking up enough of my grey matter.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that gatling gun, what a tool.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

As a rule for all FC3 level aircraft (and even the full blown jet modules) these are the primary bindings to map to joystick or throttle as you'll reference them often and usually under stress!:

1. Target Designator Cursor (TDC) Up, Down, Left, Right - put this on a hat switch. Yes, even if it means banishing trim control to the keyboard; you'll use TDC control more!

2. Weapon Select

3. Airbrake

4. Chaff and Flare dispense

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

As a rule for all FC3 level aircraft (and even the full blown jet modules) these are the primary bindings to map to joystick or throttle as you'll reference them often and usually under stress!:

1. Target Designator Cursor (TDC) Up, Down, Left, Right - put this on a hat switch. Yes, even if it means banishing trim control to the keyboard; you'll use TDC control more!

2. Weapon Select

3. Airbrake

4. Chaff and Flare dispense

Thanks Fen. I have extra hat switches and a mini joy stick on my throttle I should be able to assign. Knowing now what the TDC is helps ?!

I have discovered that once I discovered the A-10C, the full switch deal, I simply couldn't effectively fly the FC3 stuff.  Why?  Switch position.  I found that I had zero situational awareness of what was on or off what was selected, and what wasn't - something I can tell at a glance in a full switch module.  The total lack of secondary visual information in this regard with FC3 makes those aircraft much harder for me to use.

1 hour ago, Kira said:

I have discovered that once I discovered the A-10C, the full switch deal, I simply couldn't effectively fly the FC3 stuff.  Why?  Switch position.  I found that I had zero situational awareness of what was on or off what was selected, and what wasn't - something I can tell at a glance in a full switch module.  The total lack of secondary visual information in this regard with FC3 makes those aircraft much harder for me to use.

I agree Kira, the non clickable 'pit is maddening (and harder cause I  gotta memorize all the key bindings) but it will give a little entertainment for $15 while I wait for the next big ED sale. Plus I am learning about the weapons delivery systems.

• Like 1