Graphics Cards

Gypsy

Prices are dropping like proverbial rocks as the next gen (1100 series) are getting closer to release.  GTX 1080s ( good ones) can be hard for under MSRP. I almost pulled the trigger on a Zotac 1070 70ti, hesitated until it went off sale only to see it retailing less than the sale price. Looking now at Gigabyte GTX 1080s for what I was willing to pay for the 1070 ti . The 1080 Tis are still high. Think I will wait a couple of weeks and track the prices between Newegg and Amazon. I think I have my temp issues with my 1060 under control in DCS so I can wait a bit. CLoD, BoX and 1946 put no strain on the 1060. But I  also want a 1440p 144hrz or 4k 27-32" monitor so I am gonna need a stronger card to keep the FPS where I want them. May strain my I5-6600, but my older B150 motherboard may not handle to much more...  ain't it fun?

• Like 1

Prices have "stabilized" some since NVIDIA keeps dragging out the release of the next gen cards <sigh>. On the bright side, 1080s and 1070 TIs are within 30-40 USD of each other in some cards so I have more choices/decisions to make.

So... I want to update from my GTX 1050TI to say... a 1070TI or better but it appears they barely have 1 or maybe 2 HDMI ports.

I am running on 3 monitors at the moment and dont know how to work around this problem .. may multiport or some such thing.

Cant seem to find a quality card with at least 3 ports. Any ideas ?

9 hours ago, DD_Sheriff said:

So... I want to update from my GTX 1050TI to say... a 1070TI or better but it appears they barely have 1 or maybe 2 HDMI ports.

I am running on 3 monitors at the moment and dont know how to work around this problem .. may multiport or some such thing.

Cant seem to find a quality card with at least 3 ports. Any ideas ?

I just bought a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming and it has 3 display ports 1.4, but only one HDMI port. During my research I did come across some cards that had 2 HDMIs and 2 DPs, but never saw 3 HDMIs. Have you thought about running display ports if your monitors have them available?

Well for good or bad, I made my decisions. As I said in my reply to Sheriff, I chose a Gigbyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming. It dropped to $30 USD below MSRP overnite so I jumped before they start running out of stock like I am seeing a lot of the high end cards doing. They may go down more but it was well below my threshold price. I had been watching this card for a bit (Thanks Fen). This is one of the few 1080s that uses only one 8 pin power connector so I don't have to dig into the dungeon of my case to switch cables to a 6 pin/8 pin. Only requires a 500w power supply and I have a 550w 80+ gold Evga. Now if my lowly B150 MSI Bazooka Plus mother board will be happy with the step up from my GTX 1060 to the 1080.

On the monitor front. I had narrowed down my selection to a MSI 27" 1440p, 144hrz, 1ms, curved VA panel with AMD Freesync (doesn't, of course, work with NVIDIA) and a Dell 27" 1440p, 144hrz, 1ms, flat TN panel with Gsync. I currently have a 24" TN panel, 144hrz, 1ms with Freesync so I am familiar with the color limitations of TN panels. The thing that made my decision was BestBuy had a one day sale dropping the price on the Dell from 599USD to 379USD ($10 less than the MSI). Gsync adds $100 USD to the cost of all monitors it seems. Hope it's worth it.

Shortly the fun of the upgrade will start.

On a side note, my wife hinted that she wanted to learn how to "fly". Well, I will have a card and a monitor for the basis of a new build ?.

Edited by Gypsy
spelling and adding stuff
  • Like 1

Well I think I am gonna be happy with my monitor and graphics card choices. Barring any malfunctions everything is working out as I hoped it would. Running DCS on high/ultra settings, the lowest FPS I saw on the Normandy map was ~80fps and the highest temps were ~64C. That's about double the FPS and 10 degrees cooler than my GTX 1060. I think I will quit boring y'all with this stuff now, but DCS brought the "pseudo techie" out in me. At least now I can concentrate on learning how to fly, shoot and bomb!

Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1