App Icons disappeared on home screen Samsung

Sweper

I don't remember what the heck I did, an uncontrolled  swiping move before turning the Samsung off?

It is a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) almost similar to the Galaxy S7 I think. All of a sudden all app icons are gone from the home screen. It seems that the phone have switched it self back to original version like when bought from the store. All the original apps and programs are in the phone though. They just disappeared from the home screen and all what is left, is the weather app and the Google search bar/window which are there when the phone was newly installed. Also the bottom icons are still there.

Any one know what happend and if there is an easy way to recover all app icons to the home screens . I don't want to do it manually I hope.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Looks like it indeed wiped itself back to factory settings ... 

Could be due to it crashing and trying to 'fix' itself... If you've previously signed into a cloud-like account, and you've made a backup that way, there should be  a way to restore the contents... otherwise... I do not think you can get it back...

Then again, I am not too familiar with those Android devices, so... 

I googled a bit, and it is more complex, see here"https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/547862-my-phone-somehow-reset-itself-factory-settings-i-lost-everything-how-recover.html

- Could be it signed itself in with a guest account... maybe switch it off, remove battery, reseat battery and switch it back on again?

(Like said, I'm not really familiar with Android!)

Thanks FT for your support. The funny bit is that it didn't make a full factory reset, since that will delete everything in the phone. Apps, contacts etc. Just the icons disappeared on the splash screen. On all three pages. I really want to know what the heck I did that caused it.

I manually "restored" all app icons since they were still in the phone. No big deal really. The only icons that are missing are those shortcuts one can save to the splash screen directly from the browser.

Checked and no major update was made resently, latest was in February.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Weird!!

Still, could it be that 'guest'  logon? Seems that if/when you swipe in a specific way, this can happen  - is like for when you need to hand over your phone to let someone else make a call from it...

Found this:

Swipe down from the top with two fingers and touch the user icon on the upper right.

add guest

Add a guest to keep all your private data safe.

Next, touch the Add guest icon and then your phone will switch over. All the apps on the device won’t be connected to your account, so Google Photos, Gmail, and Chrome are all safe.

To end guest mode, tap the user icon and choose Remove guest