Hello old player returning & a couple of questions.

Hello all

I used to play on mission nights with the DD's and Blairgowie (IL2 1946) and had a lot of fun, i see that a lot of members are still around and playing. salute to you all. (met Arthur last night on the IL2 forum) ?

Due to R/L i have to restart again meaning re buy everything from computer to joystick and the extras and had a couple of questions.

Joysticks: i was thinking about getting the saitek HOTAS G56 but a few people said they were not very good so had a look at the TM T1600 model (throttle & joystick) is this a good model. I have also had a look at the virpil and VBK models and might buy the gladiater joystick with a thrustmaster throttle. Anyway was just wondering and wanted a few reviews from players and their thoughts, i know it is each to his own but would the TM T1600 joystick and throttle be enough and good.

I have the delan clip for head tracking so that should be enough and the computer i am getting is Quad-Core intel i7-7700K (4.2Ghz)16 Go ram DDR4 2400 MHz,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 Go.

To be honest a bit of money came in so i am splashing out and fixed a 2000 euro budget on all that i will need to fly, hoping to get a chair with panels to be able to have all at hand so if any one knows any chair/gaming stations i will appreciate any help. 

Any advice or help is welcome and hopefully will see you all again on mission nights or just to fly together.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Welcome Back Roberts!

I do remember your name... might even recognize your voice on TS ... ? :shaunv2:

As for controllers, the TM 1600 might do, but as far as I have read, it's not comparable with the virpil and VBK stuff, as that's way more 'professional'.

Furthermore, I am using an old MS-FFB2, and a home built-lunch-box-bottun-box, so I really should not be the one answering this. :)

That new hardware is just fine and nice overkill for IL2 1946 ...lol ... but should do fine for the newer Box, CloD and DCS as well :)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Welcome back Roberts!

X56 - I have an X55 and found the axes were terrible, it was sticking slightly and made DCS unflyable.
The throttle has a habit of breaking wires, easily fixed (I loomed in new more beefy wires).

Now they are Logitech the quality may be improved though... And they do provide a lot of buttons etc.

So I grafted the X55 handle onto a MSFFB2, got 4 extra buttons and an extra axis plus force feedback.

Same could be done for an X56 ;)

I'm a noobie with DD  but long in the tooth with IL2. I am currently using the Thrustmaster T.16000m FCS HOTAS and CH Products rudder pedals. I don't do any jets in DCS yet so they work out well. I have both the CH products Combat Stick and throttle but they are 12 years old now and I need to rebuild them some day. I have the parts but not ambition since the Thrustmaster stuff is working good and were relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of the stuff out there. Anyway, that's my .02 cents worth. Good luck with your hunt.

Hi and welcome back, unfortunately flight hotas now seems to fall into two categories, affordable but with quality issues or very expensive. 

I did a bit of research recently as I was thinking about replacing my saitek x52. The latter saitek products had quality issues that logitek are working on addressing and will replace faulty ones under warranty. 

Thrust master looked ok but didn't seem to have as many hats or rotaries

Ch products have no software support since the engineer who did this retired and don't seem interested in this market sector any more.

Fwiw I repaired my x-52 and I like it.

Hope this helps

• 2. Administrators

Hi Roberts - it's been a while!

Much like FT, I'm using an (ancient) MS Sidewinder 2 FFB stick, secondhand Saitek pedals, CH Throttle quadrant (the last iteration of the software runs OK on Win 10) and a custom button box so I don't have much experience with the newer sticks but your hardware choices look good. You could save some money by going for a GTX980 rather than the 1060 - I believe the performance is similar - certainly my 980 runs all the current sims with all the eye candy on at decent frame rates.

Thanks for the welcomes and replys all, appreciated?

I Pasted the wrong specs for the computer that i wanted to use for IL2 great battles series. below is the right specs do you think that it will be ok. Sorry not very good at computers and new stuff.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hm, I'd make some different choices... and it might be more expensive :) These remarks are based on you stating wanting it to fly Great Battles... ! (Recently I upgraded to I7-8700K@4.8Ghz (OC), and 16Gb, still using 970GTX, and results are not perfect, I need to tune a bit more)

- CPU: More cores, and a -K version, so you have the possibility to over clock. (So, basically, I am saying get an I7... K. Box appears to be liking CPU cycles)

- Disk : Go for a true SSD. Maybe a bit smaller, 500GB should do. (You can always add one or a traditional disk later)

- PSU: 550W minimum! Specs for 1060 states minimum is 400W of power!

And: What about a Monitor? As in: What resolution will you be running the game at, and/or are you thinkin' VR might be something for you?

And then this:

1. Wait for others to chime in

2. Go look around and maybe even ask here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com as a lot of active players there :)

Good Luck!

I am running an I5-6600 and a gtx 1060 6gb and a 500w ps and run almost wide open in Box, CLoD, 1946 and a tad lower in DCS and never get south of 60fps normally staying in the 90 -120 range on a 144hz monitor. Same Bazooka mother board. I purposely didn't get anything overclockable to keep myself in check. I have 16gb of DDR4 2133 and will upgrade to 32gb of DDR4 2400 when the cost of ram drops some. Again, file this in the what its worth column ?!

On 5/16/2018 at 7:07 PM, DD_Arthur said:

Hi again Roberts, good to see you here.

I agree with FT, BoX likes as fast a cpu as possible.  Something over 4Ghz is best.  1060 is a good card if you get the version with 6gig of vram.

Yes above and I hear good things about the TM T1600 as pretty good among the "affordable" sticks.  No comparison to the latest gen of custom sticks.