Whatcha Flyin'?

Gypsy

After flying CLoD tonite, what did/do you fly in DCS? Just want to know what I would need if I ever could join in the fun.

Some of us are still on rusty old 1.5... Soon* to upgrade

I fly any of these, in no particular order:

Spit
Sabre
P-51
FC3 (F-15, A-10A, Su-33 etc)
Harrier
Huey
Hawk (almost never cos it's porked)
I think that's it...

*could be this month, could be next, or the next...

Right now I have the P51 and the original Caucuses map. Still a clutz with it as I don't fly it often enough. I want to get the Nevada map and F86 and F5 (that's about as "high tech" as I can handle ?), but waiting on a sale.

Same as BluBear, still on 1.5 for the moment.

Prop driven i have the Spit and P51 and the noisy ones i have the Sabre and the FC3  package F-15  A-10A  Su-33 ect. I enjoy flying all of these, looking forward to upgrading to 2.5 and the arrival of the F-18:thumbsu: 

I have the 51, Spitfire, 109, F-86, Mig 15&21 A-10 C,  Mirage, Huey, Harrier,  prepaid for the F18,  C-101 Aviojet,  Fw 190 D-9 Dora, Mi-8MTV2, Flaming Cliffs 3

• Thanks 1

A-10C, F-86F, F-5E, Bf-109K-4, AV-8B, P-51D, F-15C, FW-190-D9, UH-1, Flaming Cliffs 3 (and associated aircraft), prepaid for F/A-18C, and will do the same for the F-14 Tomkitty the instant it's available.

Ordered by personal favorites, pretty much.  The F-86, F-5 and AV-8B are just plain fun to fly, even without blowing stuff up.  The only reason the F-15 isn't further up the list is that it's an FC3 aircraft, and thus not full switch.  I found it all but impossible to go back to a non-functioning cockpit once I'd gotten the A-10C.

Learning curve wise, the F-86, F-5E, P-51, and Bf-109 are pretty simple.  The FW-190's a bit more involved, but not a whole lot.  The AV-8B is, for flying, rather more complicated, and it also has the extra stuff the A-10C does (weapons systems, navigation systems, etc. and so on).  The UH-1 is pretty difficult, being a helicopter.  Finally, the A-10C is the epitome of DCS, in my humble opinion.  Very in depth and thus complicated.  However - it's possible, like any other, to take small bites, rather than trying to devour the whole elephant at once.

One piece of advice - learn to do any aircraft the right way.  Once you get used to doing something a particular way, that's the way you'll do it.  It takes time, but if you ingrain the right way, then it just feels better.  Then again, it's a sim, not the real deal, so who cares about BITs anyways? (Built In Tests, for making sure stuff is actually working.)  No need for them if you don't set it up to fail, is there?  Totally personal preference, but I now regret not learning to do it "right" in the A-10C.

By the way, sales happen roughly quarterly at DCS.

• 1. DDz Quorum
Just now, Kira said:

A-10C, F-86F, F-5E, Bf-109K-4, AV-8B, P-51D, F-15C, FW-190-D9, UH-1, Flaming Cliffs 3 (and associated aircraft), prepaid for F/A-18C, and will do the same for the F-14 Tomkitty the instant it's available.

Ordered by personal favorites, pretty much.  The F-86, F-5 and AV-8B are just plain fun to fly, even without blowing stuff up.  The only reason the F-15 isn't further up the list is that it's an FC3 aircraft, and thus not full switch.  I found it all but impossible to go back to a non-functioning cockpit once I'd gotten the A-10C.

Learning curve wise, the F-86, F-5E, P-51, and Bf-109 are pretty simple.  The FW-190's a bit more involved, but not a whole lot, the AV-8B is, for flying, rather more complicated, and it also has the extra stuff the A-10C does.  The UH-1 is pretty difficult, being a helicopter.  Finally, the A-10C is the epitome of DCS, in my humble opinion.  Very in depth and thus complicated.  However - it's possible, like any other, to take small bites, rather than trying to devour the whole elephant at once.

One piece of advice - learn to do any aircraft the right way.  Once you get used to doing something a particular way, that's the way you'll do it.  It takes time, but if you ingrain the right way, then it just feels better.  Then again, it's a sim, not the real deal, so who cares about BITs anyways? (Built In Tests, for making sure stuff is actually working.)  No need for them if you don't set it up to fail, is there?  Totally personal preference, but I now regret not learning to do it "right" in the A-10C.

Your review is all nice and good and impressive and shift. But massively incomplete, and thus rather irrelevant.

One piece of advice - learn to do any aircraft the right way.

100% Agree, but:

Where's your Spitfire? 

?:shaunv2::sheep1:

• Haha 1

I may add the Normandy map/WWII asset pack and maybe, just maybe the Spit ?! But paying for horses, saddles and other rather expensive horse-sh$t is taking a lot of my mad money right now ???!

Gypsy, take a good look at the RAM requirements before deciding to purchase the Normandy map.  If you're going to do it, make sure you can do it right.  They're talking 32 GB of RAM for a "well running, action packed" mission on the Normandy map.  16 is, they say "good enough".  I have 8 and Normandy runs-ish.  Only a little better than "barely", really, with just my aircraft.  Same for the new 2.5 Caucasus map.  Truth be told, I'll be looking at a serious RAM upgrade soon.  2.5 alone has forced it.

7 minutes ago, Kira said:

Gypsy, take a good look at the RAM requirements before deciding to purchase the Normandy map.  If you're going to do it, make sure you can do it right.  They're talking 32 GB of RAM for a "well running, action packed" mission on the Normandy map.  16 is, they say "good enough".  I have 8 and Normandy runs-ish.  Only a little better than "barely", really, with just my aircraft.  Same for the new 2.5 Caucasus map.  Truth be told, I'll be looking at a serious RAM upgrade soon.  2.5 alone has forced it.

I have been reading the same and am waiting for RAM prices to come down a bit. I have 16gb of DDR4 2133. My motherboard will handle up to DDR4 2400 but right now 32gb of DDR4 2400 is a bit more than I wanna spend (see my other posts about paying for horse stuff). I don't have any problems on the Caucasus map offline with a few aircraft but have never been online with it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Generally the missions I run on Normandy do ok on 16GB; some intelligent spawning and de-spawning units helps.

Take note that the memory manager that is being currently trialled in the Open Beta branch may help with loading Normandy, which I know some with 8GB had issues with.

Actual performance when in mission with 8GB... good question!