Watcha Got Cookin'?

FoolTrottel

• 1. DDz Quorum

Here's what better not to do: Use like 7 years old heat sink paste on yer brand new processor:

Img_0876.jpg

So, I cleaned it up. The only paste I had left was the stuff already applied on the heat sink of a brand new cooler... scraped it off, applied some to the CPU and some to the original cooler... all is good. On load it now runs at 68C, instead of 75C ... Have ordered me some fresh stuff though... Tomorrow I shall pull the stuff apart again, and put some of it on... well, if this thing lasts in this setup that is.

Oh well... 

• Haha 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

Haha, sure do!

After applying the new paste, the temps as such during load seem reasonable, but after running CloD and/or DCS, the Max value ended up at being 81C ! Not really an improvement ... lol

Maybe the CPUID HWMonitor is not up to its task? There was a recent update of it though... 

• 2. Administrators
Haha, sure do!
After applying the new paste, the temps as such during load seem reasonable, but after running CloD and/or DCS, the Max value ended up at being 81C ! Not really an improvement ... lol
Maybe the CPUID HWMonitor is not up to its task? There was a recent update of it though... 

So how frequently should one consider replacing the thermal compound between cpu and cooler? I only ask cos my liquid cooling rig is still using the thermal compound that was pre-applied by the manufacturer. Seems ok though, my CPU rarely gets to 60 deg C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, FoolTrottel said:

Apply it once and it will last a computer-lifetime me thinks :) 

Yep my understanding also, but 7 year old open stock, as you found out has its limits to shelf life. ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum
3 hours ago, Kira said:

Never have understood how electronics like CPUID (which I use as well)could get a good read on physical temps.  Unless they're just reading a thermometer already installed on the machine.

That's indeed what they do... They need updates regularly, so new boards and newly discovered sensors will get added :)

• Thanks 1

• 2. Administrators
On 4/15/2018 at 4:35 AM, T_O_A_D said:

Yep my understanding also, but 7 year old open stock, as you found out has its limits to shelf life. ?

surely the goo squished between my heatsink and CPU would be classed as 'open'

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2018 at 8:20 AM, Jabo said:

surely the goo squished between my heatsink and CPU would be classed as 'open'

Well yes, but not freshly opened ?

Had it been fresh it would of spread better I'm certain.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 11:48 AM, Jabo said:

So how frequently should one consider replacing the thermal compound between cpu and cooler? I only ask cos my liquid cooling rig is still using the thermal compound that was pre-applied by the manufacturer. Seems ok though, my CPU rarely gets to 60 deg C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temps are your guide I guess. Big differences between core temps or just high temps and you should do something.

Mine was the stock cooler since 2012. Temps were 50's and up to 80 in game.  Then I was editing a video and saw temps in the 90's.  Bought a cooler (GAMMAXX 400) and installed that today. 37C at rest and 63 converting video.

The old paste was poorly applied and quite hard, no doubt being baked on over the years. What do you see in the pattern?

cooler_zps9zmdcxqa.jpg

• 2. Administrators
10 hours ago, Perfesser said:

Temps are your guide I guess.

That's always my view. When I set my current rig up a while back, I switched on the hardware monitor in the BIOS so now I get a 2 stage alarm on the CPU and GPU if they get too warm - in both cases the threshold is set at 80% and 95% of Tjmax - so far I've never had an alarm (and yes, I have tested it works by setting the threshold to my normal temps).