joystick fooked any suggestions

delta7

my x-52 has given it up , throttle ok but connection between throttle and joystick o/c must be a bust wire or connector- so need a new one - any suggestions appreciated

if I get another x-52 then I wont have to map all my buttons again so thats favourite

is the pro version any better?

If you can stand the lack of buttons the MS sidewinder FFB is the best stick you can use. There is no "centered" position.

Joysticks are measured by how well they act around the center. The smoother the better with the least  breakout force. Cheap sticks are hard to make fine adjustments. The x52 is ... cheap.

No doubt the $400 and up sticks are pretty good. Virpil. BRD and the like.  Sidewinder is about $100 and silky smooth.

Personally I have one sitting on the shelf and use my X52 throttle and CH fighterstick.   An improvement over the 52 and half the price (or less) than the really nice ones - its good but not great.  Well known for robust construction.  Must have buttons.....  

Found the old thread when my x-45 died, it was Nov 2012 so I have owned this for just over 5 years. 

Trawling through the internet and it's difficult to get anything other than logitek of thrust master here in UK, even c h is very rare.

10 pound too much?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-SideWinder-Force-Feedback-2-656-00105-Joysticks/253497561666?epid=140891473&hash=item3b05a1d242:g:Td0AAOSwTmJarO6u

how about 30?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-SideWinder-Force-Feedback-2-656-00105-Joysticks/253497561666?epid=140891473&hash=item3b05a1d242:g:Td0AAOSwTmJarO6u

I just searched ebay UK for "joystick". 

Another @ 85

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-SideWinder-Force-Feedback-2-656-00105-Joystick-Free-P-P/263546366587?epid=140891473&hash=item3d5c966a7b:g:y5IAAOSwm9Japszn

So want to make sure it's the USB model. I think there is a way to use the gameport one with an adapter.  If you're handy you might Franken-mod your X-52 handle on but the extra buttons will need another control board.

I can vouch for the Microsoft FFB2.   Loved it while it worked.  It quit years ago, but I still have it in hopes that I may one day get the nerve to attempt to fix it.  Loved that stick. 

Currently have a Thrustmaster HOTAS X.  Other than the fact that it is throttle and stick combined, with enough line between them to have one on each side of the keyboard with a little left over, I'd say it is decidedly "meh".  You get what you pay for, I suppose.  This one was less than $100, though it's been in for the long haul; I got it within a week of the FFB2 dying.  It does okay, but I'm seriously considering a Warthog for the A-10/F-14 experience.

Might have to go with Vipril or BRD though.  Not 100% sold on the Hog, though maybe the later production ones are better.

I was going to get the fighterstick but read that ch isn't supporting software and there are issues since last windows 10 update. 

The saitek sticks are getting a bit of bad reviews over quality  so as I was stuck I had another go and managed to fix my existing one again,  the issue is a poor connection between throttle and stick so once I had this sorted I superglued the connection to hopefully stop it happening.

It's probably only a temporary fix but will give me more time to decide what the best option is

• 1. DDz Quorum
7 hours ago, delta7 said:

I was going to get the fighterstick but read that ch isn't supporting software and there are issues since last windows 10 update. 

The saitek sticks are getting a bit of bad reviews over quality  so as I was stuck I had another go and managed to fix my existing one again,  the issue is a poor connection between throttle and stick so once I had this sorted I superglued the connection to hopefully stop it happening.

It's probably only a temporary fix but will give me more time to decide what the best option is

Hey Dave, just seen this post. My X52 is a number of years old...don't know how many though. I didn't have any issues with it until last year when the stick part wasn't connecting to the computer. It turned out to be an intermittant connection fault between the stick and the throttle section. I could get it to stay connected sometimes by waggling the connection into the stick but eventually secured it in position by curving the joining cable to give a positive pressure on the stick connection and securing it with tape. My Hotas and two saitek quadrants are all mounted on a board so can't move so no issues since then.