T_O_A_D

It has lost all the PCIe slots.

It's an older MSI board AMD Phenom II 3.4 Black edition CPU and Gskill DDr1600

This is it I'd like something similiar but in much newer Tech

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

So I Have a 970GTX and all my drives and 16 gig of Ram

I'm thinking I should just chuck the Ram

reuse my GPU, PSU, HDD's, Case

Any suggestions for a full atx board and CPU, Ram?

I haven't seriously looked at anything in at least 6 years.

We just blew a wad going to Jamicia and I had to buy new tires for my Truck.

So it may still be a few weeks before I can afford the purchase, so I might as well start planning now.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hm, get an i5 with good speed. Some board, some memory with some o/c capability.... 

Really, I do not know which exactly, and I got a feeling it doesn't matter as much as it used to, which components you pick. But, that's probably just me: just get some decent stuff for some decent amount of money... nothing too complex, too fancy, so it will last a while, and stay steady and dependable :)

• Like 1

Yes agreed!

Steady and dependable.

I was researching last night and the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 looks like the best bang for the buck, but its a new socket not an old long on the tooth one like the I5 is.

Any of us running the Ryzen CPU?

I know there are some I5 and older I7's in the groupd, that have held together a a long time.

When I break out I generally try to hit a 1 1/2 to 3 years behinf the leading stuff. Just so I have all the updates out of the box and most if not all quirks have been dealt with.

I have has Asus baords fail, and now MSI, but the two Gigibyte boards I have owned are still working for me or the realitive I gave it away too.

SO I'm pretty sure I'm going to look seriously at their boards first.

I have noticed nearly all the Gaming boards have some sort of onboard video and the CPU is interwined, I have always avoided that. Is that still good thinking.? I'd rather not even have it on the board even if I don't use it. Or is that the normal now days for some reason like Streaming while playing???

• 2. Administrators

Gigabyte boards are generally good. My i5 2500K (so first-gen) is still solid after several years slightly overclocked even after many, many mods to my rig (including a move to liquid-cooled a couple of years ago).

Sounds like you're on the right track though m8.

Pulled the trigger on an I5 8600k and a Gigabite board and some 3200 memory.

fingers crossed it will setup easy and last a long while.

I decided on Intel, strickly due to an older dual core and hyperthreading chip I used to use and miss its stability.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have it up and running now. :-)

WHAT a Major PIA though!!!!

Gigabyte has a new USB drivers on these Z370 boards.

Windows 7 does not have them and will not load via the CD/DVD

I had to get a prog to make a USB intaller and introduce the drivers into it merging them with a ISO of Win 7.

I couldn't just drop Win 10 in and get it to activate, snce my Win 10 is based off a Win 7 upgrade.

So needless to say I made it a dul boot again, since I had to install 7 no matter what.

I have to order a PCIE USB card though, I was not able to find a board that supported as many USB slots as my old AMD board. So I'm not fly yet.

But I just played a Hunting game I have and my 970 GTX is pushing 20+fps more in this system, than it did with the old one. It used to run average of 37 now its 59-61 all the time.

Can't wait to see what it does in the the Flying games.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I couldn't just drop Win 10 in and get it to activate, snce my Win 10 is based off a Win 7 upgrade.

I had the exact same thing. 

This is what I did: Install Windows 10, skipping the key entry at the installer. After I could not activate it with my key, I started a chat with an MS Employee. Raj S. was his name.

Explained what I did - New Mobo + CPU,  Gave him my W10 code, ánd the original W7 code. He then gave me a brand new code, and with that one I could activate W10.

I tried that, and talked to a guy also and he said hang on a bit let me go get what you need.

No case number and he accidently hung up on me.

Called back got ahold of a gal and she flat said No, you have to reload windows 7 first.

But she gave me a case number though if I had any more trouble.

So do you now have a Win 10 product key for install?

If so I'm going to call them back.

RGR I gave up on the Chat the otherday, it was all automated, no breathers.

But yes I'm going to try again.

A question when you installed it via 7 first, does it leave a folder called Windows.old?

I formatted my drive, so I was surprized to see one stuffed full 14+ gigs in it,.

win.jpg