I've been looking on evilbay too and I'm increasingly coming round to getting a Rift S over a Reverb.

The large price difference does matter and I really like the no fuss simplicity of the Occulus set up and being able to run it with Open Composite against the Reverb which would mean running both Steam VR and Windows Mixed Reality:blink:

• 1 year later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

@Arthur - have you looked at the Oculus Quest 2 - now the link cable is sorted for £299 making it run at 90hz it looks really good (well I think so anyway)

I have actually sold my original rift to put the funds towards the Quest.

FaceBook will be discontinuing the Rift S in favour of the Quest being their main platform for VR

• 4 months later...

Dr

On 2/11/2021 at 10:32 AM, Friar said:

@Arthur - have you looked at the Oculus Quest 2 - now the link cable is sorted for £299 making it run at 90hz it looks really good (well I think so anyway)

I have actually sold my original rift to put the funds towards the Quest.

FaceBook will be discontinuing the Rift S in favour of the Quest being their main platform for VR

Hey guys I made the move to VR with the Q2.    I kinda have airplay set up.    Should I use Open composite or steam VR???   Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Hey chaps, so I've finally joined the VR club by way of Crash's Rift CV1.

First impressions have been great on just a rough and ready set-up flying GBS on I think fairly high 'HIGH' setting, using SteamVR.

It obviously needs tweaking to fine tune it and smoothen the running and wondered what settings you would recommend for my set up based on your experiences?

Ryzen 7 5800x
32GB Ram
EVGA GTX 1080 8GB (i think)
Rift CV1

My tiny mind was also blown at this talk of OpenComposite etc, so any further guidance on that would be most appreciated.

Cheers

I used open composite but there can be issues with sound. Are the lens inserts of any use? It does help with clarity if you are able to use distance prescription lens. look here for some good info https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/109-virtual-reality-and-vr-controllers/

• Thanks 1

Thanks Crasharooney. The lenses don't fit my prescription, so I'll look into others that do. No room for my spectacles in there as I expected.
I'll only be using one audio source at a time, either occulus headset or my other headset online and speakers if offline. Fen said there were issues if using speakers for game sound and headset for comms for instance? Hopefully shouldn't affect me.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi @BluBear

I used to use some prescription lens' for my Rift.

They came from Germany and cost about £50. I sent them my prescription for each eye and they supplied the lens' that clipped over the rift lens. Best thing I did as I too have to wear glasses for distance.

This is who I used.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Cheers

Friar

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Crash said:

You can use VA with limited actions for free. I think it cast $10 for full version.

That's what I paid for VAC a decade ago, so VA is even cheaper if you figure in inflation lol