• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an update on the way I see it.

Pluses

I really feel I am sitting in a cockpit and I can sense the way the plane is moving.

Better for situational awareness

Minuses

Much harder to spot aircraft/ground targets That might improve a bit when I get my lenses sorted.

Very hard to check six, due to your head can only turn so far and limited FOV

You need to use VoiceAttack as it is very hard to use a keyboard unless you can touch type. I use this for nav/landing/cockpit lights, open map, toggle icons/hud, open/close canopy, and logging into a server when I know the pass word, although you need to have TS on push to talk.

On the whole I am really impressed and when the field of vision and resolution improves it will be amazing.

PS its harder to drink beer :(

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

I have installed voice attack as well (£8 or $10 for full version). I can see it being really useful for the sort of things Crash suggested.

i am finding the 3D images amazing. When I had Painless fly up close to me last night it looked so real. The scenery looks amazing.

i also need glasses for distance viewing so have bought prescription lenses to fit inside the Rift which make things so much more comfortable.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Morning chaps

An enjoyable night last night...apart from me requiring anger management classes ? Not particularly big problems, coincidental updates and frustrations coming together I think.

Anyway, one of those frustrations was the way in which the jaggies appeared. Couldn't change anything so it looks like it is Steam, Windows or Oculus causing a problem, all of which have updated recently. So, reading the GBS VR forum I found Open VR/Open Composite , very quick and easy to install, very simple to set up and still runs with Oculus Tool Tray. I have installed it. Jaggies have gone and my FPS has increased from 40 up to 56 and is no longer locked below 40. I am sure GBS looks better too. It doesn't work for everything eg. Google Earth VR, which is amazing, still needs Steam VR to run. Not an issue because you can configure OpenVR to default back to Steam VR for certain apps.  

Try it perhaps.

Cheerzen

OpenComposite.zip

• 1. DDz Quorum

I don't run my oculus with the tool tray. I just launch the application directly. I don't run it from steam or anything, although I am seeing that steam VR launches its self.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting!

Have used it with BoS very briefly and the game is running smoother than before and I'm getting a higher frame rate.

I can't see much difference in clarity but I'm running the Rift CV1 and I haven't had any problems like the S guys are getting from these recent updates. 

However, I have moved up from the 'balanced' preset to 'high'.  This also means I get much nicer cloudsB).

Thanks Sid:salute:

On 6/17/2019 at 8:38 AM, Sid said:

Morning chaps

An enjoyable night last night...apart from me requiring anger management classes ? Not particularly big problems, coincidental updates and frustrations coming together I think.

Anyway, one of those frustrations was the way in which the jaggies appeared. Couldn't change anything so it looks like it is Steam, Windows or Oculus causing a problem, all of which have updated recently. So, reading the GBS VR forum I found Open VR/Open Composite , very quick and easy to install, very simple to set up and still runs with Oculus Tool Tray. I have installed it. Jaggies have gone and my FPS has increased from 40 up to 56 and is no longer locked below 40. I am sure GBS looks better too. It doesn't work for everything eg. Google Earth VR, which is amazing, still needs Steam VR to run. Not an issue because you can configure OpenVR to default back to Steam VR for certain apps.  

Try it perhaps.

Cheerzen

OpenComposite.zip 339.14 kB · 2 downloads

OK, I have downloaded. Do I create a folder, extract it to that folder and run the exe. ? I looked at the download website and it looked a bit confusing for my old brain.

• 1. DDz Quorum

@ Crash Yes, extract to a folder and run the .exe. It takes a few seconds to install the .dlls. You can then configure, by using the button on the small interface, applications to run either as default, Open Composite or Steam VR. At the moment I have Steam VR as default, GBS as Open Composite and Google Earth VR as Steam VR. You can also click a button to revert back to Steam VR. The page the link goes to does look a bit complicated but scroll down a little bit to the 'readme' and all becomes easier.

@ Friar, if you start Open Composite before starting GBS it prevents Steam VR loading as the default VR provider. The Oculus Tool Tray (OTT) provides additional settings that aren't available through the main Oculus interface. The only one I have changed via OTT is the default supersampling to 1.5. You don't need OTT for anything else and it works with Open Composite fine.

I think Open Composite is a good piece of software as it bypasses Steam VR and Steam completely, avoiding a mass of unnecessary clutter running in the fore and in the background.

• 1. DDz Quorum
6 hours ago, Sid said:

(...)

I think Open Composite is a good piece of software as it bypasses Steam VR and Steam completely, avoiding a mass of unnecessary clutter running in the fore and in the background.

Avoiding it? Looks like most of that specific mass is right below the VR Helmet usually ...

:sheepsmile: ...

• Haha 2

It works now, I had another issue with the cable into the headset :( just to make matters interesting sometimes the game opens the map and empties my cannon amunition just for a laugh. It might be the joystick connertion.

• 3 months later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Just installed OpenComposite as suggested Sunday night but now have no sound in game when playing in VR?

I use default windows sound and not Rift Audio.

I have read a bit about updating an .ini file

Did you guys have to do this?

regards

Colin

• 1. DDz Quorum

just re-connected VR speakers and got sound back.

I still have the Oculus Home, devices, store etc screen. Is that correct.

I am also getting this screen in front of the BOX screen if I dont have the Rift up and running first?

Cheers

• 1 month later...