Sign in to follow this  
delta7

online servers

Thought Id start this so folk can comment on the online servers they play on, good, bad,tips,links etc

So far I have only found two types

1. Hardcore - full CEM , no icons, no speedbar

2. Relaxed or Normal , no CEM , icons, minimap,speedbar

Is there any middle ground , with CEM but with icons?

Not sure there are any popular icons on servers with CEM.   Generally it's icons off but with a choice of what they call GPS on or off.

The two most popular servers at the moment are Wings of Liberty - which has GPS on and Tactical Air War which has GPS off.

The GPS on bit means when you bring up the main map you see your own plane as a black symbol which gives position and heading. 

The icons system in BoX is not as developed as IL2 1946 in that there is not a choice of when and how an icon is displayed in terms of distance or information given.

My tip for flying Wings of Liberty - disable the chat.  It's usually terrible.

• Like 1

I was on Tactical Air War last night but without GPS navigation was hard, I basically followed a river, which was near the airfield, back and forth over the lines 

I've yet to fly on the multiplayer servers but I like the sound of Coconuts dynamic campaign once I'm competent to do so without wrecking my sides chances. I think it could be really fun to plan and execute missions with a small flight within the context of the ongoing battle. It's less busy than the TAW server so might be better for newer pilots.

As for navigation I've been flying with the IL-2 2 Mission Planner  up on a 2nd screen (Would be good on a tablet too) so I can quickly reference the map against what I can see out the plane.

1 hour ago, Thrudd said:

once I'm competent to do so without wrecking my sides chances

For goodness sake don't go getting competent. We have our reputation to consider...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1