Coming back to the kennel!

SkyPup

Fellow mutts,

I haven't flown with the Dogz in about 2 years but will be returning to the fold soon.  I was about to hop in here with a bunch of questions, but found
most of them already answered in Fenrir's "We need to talk" thread.

My absence hasn't been due to lack of interest. I'm just too interested in too many things....hobbies, around-the-house projects, family obligations. And
earning a living. That's about to change, though. I retire at the end of the year, so Mrs Pup and I can annoy each other full time, something we have plenty
of experience in. And I can spend more time flying imaginary airplanes. 

I'd been wondering about the viability of "1946", but from Fenrir's thread, it's still the favored game. That's fine with me. I don't think I'll ever tire of
this sim, with it's vast content.  I've played around (off line) with Rise of Flight, and really enjoy it.  I also fly BoS and DCS (mostly for the UH-1
Huey), but my ancient PC is having trouble with both BoS and DCS. If 1946 is succeeded by BoS and its siblings, I'll have to build a new machine.

So I'm considering a new gaming PC for next year.  Can you guys give any hardware recommendations?  The new generation of chips look nice, but can flight
sims use the power of these zillion-core CPUs?  I'm thinking maybe a quad core i-5 CPU, but concerned with the longevity of the LGA 1151 platform.  As I'll
be on a fixed income, I need to stay within a reasonable budget. 

What is the current mod/patch for 1946?  Are the Dogz still on TeamSqueek?

Thanks,

Pup

• Like 2

Hello big guy!  Long time no see:salute:

Teamspeak - you should be able to read this link;

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/12202-teamspeak-passwords/

A new rig?  Don't know too much about the latest and greatest tech out there atm but all the more modern flight sims benefit from a quad core - nothing is gained by a six or eight core.  Something capable of running around 4Ghz would be good too.

Hmmm.....sounds like an i-5 to me:).

Nice to see you here again SkyPup:thumbsu:   

• 2. Administrators

Howdy Pup, good to see you here again.

The requirements for BoS are rather more modest than DCS, so if you’re looking for a new rig I would suggest starting there. For the record, my rig uses an i5-2500k, 12GB RAM and a GTX980Ti and both DCS and BoX run flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, SkyPup said:

Thanks, all.  I'm patched up to IL2 FB 4.12.2, HSFX 7.0.2 Expert.  Is this current?

I'm planning to fly with the Dogz sometime in January.  

Nearly current. We are on HSFX 7.03 at the moment.

Two ways to upgrade: Download and apply the patch here: link (7.0 to 7.03)

Or run ChkMods. Link to download

Welcome back!

• 3 weeks later...

Retired yesterday.  Installed a new video card (Radeon 580) and it seems to have solved the issues with DCS and BoS.  So there may be some life left in my aging PC.  

I hope to join the Dogz for some action soon.  Still in disbelief that I'm now officially an Old Fart.  Don't know what the future holds, but it will start with a pint of Guinness.

• Like 2

ROF or 1946, it doesn't matter.  I can't hit anything, especially when it's moving.

Been home for a week  and it still hasn't sunk in that I don't have a job to go to.  Can't decide if I like this or not.  What do I do with the rest of my life, and what do I want to be when I grow up?  Is growing up mandatory?

I was fooling around with CLoD yesterday, patrolling the channel in my Spitty, when I met up with some Ju-88s who treated me rudely. One of the tail gunners knocked out my engine, so I figured I'd just glide down and ditch. There was a passing convoy of allied ships, and my plan was to ditch near one them and get picked up. But no, the ship just steamed on without so much as a blast of the fog horn. Don't these ship captains know the International Protocols for Treatment of Downed Spitty Pilots? And haven't they seen the movie Dunkirk? Sheesh....

• Haha 1