BoX my First flight, and action in the IL2 1942

• 1. DDz Quorum

Good fun.

First, the negative stuff, kinda bugs me that:

- GUI background sound : all that is just annoying me. Even after you finish the mission, you can still here engine sounds and guns firing... yuck. 

- In Cockpit sound is way too windy, like the canopy is still open.

- Trim cannot be assigned to a slider.

What dó I like?

- Yeah, it flies! Some stuff is for sure different, and not sure here - but I did think of this article on FB that BluBear posted, on flying the IL2: It being weird on Pitch - dependant on throttle and RPM settings... Yes, it does unexpected things - just by throttling back I managed to loose 500 Meters of altitude where I did not really notice :)

- Killing ground stuff works, and AA is deadly.

Flew around on the NewWings server, and some the ground targets there were really hidden in trees, so you could not really see them and have an easy attack run.

Also shot at a friendly aircraft ... never expected any of them there where I was attacking, WingFlyr had already been hit by AA and smokin', and I mistook a P40 for a 190 ... oops. That server was quick to point it out to me. Bit silly, as I think it should not do that. There's some more "silly"(IMO) rules on that server, should you click on a Blue base in error, then switch to Red, you get a Penalty of 30 seconds because you switched sides. WFT? Oh well... Not too bad, but it really gives it that gamey feeling, same as the 'Unlocks' - If you take bombs/rocketsin the IL2, yes, you need to click on 'Unlocks'... Oh well.

Still, could be good fun for all of us ...

Here's me after a not so successful take off, too much fuel, too short a runway. Please do note, trees do have a collision model here. :) (Eh, maybe not this specific tree, but it's not like CloD of 1946 (Sauf Oleg Trees) where you can just fly through them. I think I got lucky in this one.

2017_11_29__20_37_45.jpg

• Like 2

I am enjoying flying about the Kuban map and I agree about the wind noise. Since Loft left I think Jason has tried to get the spirit of the original into the latest version. Here is hoping that the next update isnt too long.

I'm also finding ground handling a bit tricky, I'm pretty good at donuts :D
I quite like that each plane has its own quirks that you need to work out. Some certainly seem harder than others.  I've found it kind of rewarding when I start to feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

The German planes I've tried have individual wheel breaks, Russians either have a single break for both sides or use the rudder to select which break to apply. Being slow and steady with the throttle seems to be the key though regardless of the plane.

• 5 weeks later...

Everything you mentioned FT has bugged me from the onset of the sim. Plus TrackIr works differently for me in it. I have fidled and fiddled and can not get it to perform as in the original or Clod both those games feel more natural than this one with TrackIr