Perfect Mode Question

Mayhem

Nor have I Jabo. The reason I ask is I'm thinking of getting a new monitor/graphics card with adaptive sync capability. AMD is using a open Freesync technology while Nvidia has gone with a proprietary G-sync they created. Both essentially accomplish the same goal of adjusting monitor refresh rate on the fly but the monitor has to have the respective module to work with the respective syncing tech. Nvidia G-sync monitors cost about a 300+ more USD for essentially the same thing and it kind of torques me off that Nvidia chose to go the proprietary route. I can get an ultrawide 34' LG curved with Freesync right now for about 530 USD while the same thing in Gsync is 900 bucks.  I'd have no problem making my next graphics card an AMD but I'd hate to loose perfect mode in IL-2. Sounds silly I know, 1st world problems LOL. 

But if the game can't produce 60 fps, it jumps down to 30 fps with v-sync.  So you have to reduce your graphics to stay above 60, or accept tearing.

But you guys are really talking about the FreeSync and G-Sync here right?  Where you buy a special monitor that changes it's refresh rate when the graphics card tells it to..  So the video card's fps control the monitors refresh rate?

Personally, I rarely notice tearing and fixing it at this point is more of a hassle that it's worth.

Yes with vsync on you get no tearing.

I'm just saying that with it on you get 60 fps only if your card is producing 60 or more fps. When the card produces 59 fps(or less) vsync only gives you 30 fps.

I saw a great video about how the buffers work last week.. Not sure if this is it, but this explains it well also..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

Well, personally I can't see much difference between 30 and 100FPS - We're just so used to the power of modern computers that more of anything is assumed to be better - even if we can't tell the difference.

• Like 1

Agreed Jabo!

But tearing is quite visible to me, so Vsync is always on at my place, And depending on the Game my rig pushes 60fps most of the time. DCS is the only game that drags it down to 30 or less, and to honest that game isn't that much fun for me. between the cost of nods, crappy explosion graphics and flight models that exploit us being human. I only mess with it if the crowd ar hand is. 

But I did learn something here to try, V-Sync off and triple on with DCS.

Instead of Vsync on and Triple on like I have it.

I disagree.  Flying past something at 700mph is smoother IMO.  Most of the time you won't notice it, I agree.  But there are times when it looks smoother.  I'm not sure if it's because the eye has more frames to choose from as the brain processes it or what.  But I have seen the difference even in hdtv sets where the are trying to show off their solutions.  It's always in a scene where the background is moving fast.  Just my opinion.  

I never pay attention to tearing outside of the cockpit Snacko, its the tearing inside and cockpit bars or near objects on the outside of the aircraft that bother me when turning my head in game.

The only thing that annoys me on the terrain on the ground IE trees and buildings loading in.