We need to talk...

DD_Fenrir

• 2. Administrators

I see. Well, I’m yet to build a mission in CloD and we don’t yet know what, if anything, has been changed regarding the AI in v4.5 so we’ll just have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"1) 32-bit Program Support - we have to acknowledge the possibility that at some point in the future, windows support for 32-bit programs will disappear - this means no more Il-2:1946! There are of course ways around these things but this is an important aspect that must be recognized."

A bit late to the party but with virtual machine technology I don't really see this being that big of an issue especially as PC's get more and more powerful running IL-2 1946 through virtual machine the background should run fine. I've personally run IL-2 using the WINE 'emulator' in Ubuntu Linux and it worked fine save for the anti aliasing which was an issue with WINE itself and possibly fixed by now. Having spent extensive time playing games through DOSbox and Virtualbox if you set things up properly you can click a shortcut and start the game/sim as simple as that. It's also possible I believe to condense everything (Emulator/Game/Sim) into one executable, or package at least, that folks could download to alleviate the work of setting it all up from scratch. As to which operating system to run a virtual machine of, I'm thinking XP might be better but Window 7 runs IL-2 perfectly too. 

As for dwindling participation, I'm not sure what to do about that. I'd be flying with you all but I've been extremely busy for the last few years. 

On 29/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, Painless said:

After all this discussion, I feel the need to ask a risky question chaps.....

If we keep Sunday evening as an IL2 46 exclusive session for the foreseeable future, should we take the plunge and make Tuesday at 7.30 pm GMT a BOX series official DDz session ? Maybe start after Christmas ?

Will we get back some of our long lost American/Canadian brothers at that time, on that day ?

If you feel outraged by such a suggestion please say so, we are all good friends here and no opinion is worth more or less than any other.

No disrespect intended to those who already fly BOX at a different time or with the Wing Walkers, what else can you do, we don't fly that sim as a squad....YET .

Respectfully, Painless.

Id say no but only due to the fact that Il2 is still by far the most used and popular and so deserves its slots- sundays tend to be long missions and the quick dogfight scenario is catered for on Tuesdays, however having seen the low turnout on tuesdays recently I dont know if my argument is valid.

Is there anything wrong in making Wednesdays BoX nights ?

I dont think we have to rush this but the numbers do need to go up for 1946 nights. The idea is to get new members and we arnt going to do this if we still concentrate on 1946. Wednesday would probably be no go for me but maybe a Saturday or Sunday afternoon might be OK for me but I doubt that it would suit many.

• 2. Administrators

I think the problem is that, in general, people have less time to fly now than perhaps they did in the past, so adding more nights is probably not going to be a big hit.

Incidentally, anyone see the CloD v4.5 mass test streamed live on Twitch and YouTube yesterday? It's on again at 8pm tonight for those who are interested. Looking good!

28 minutes ago, Jabo said:

I think the problem is that, in general, people have less time to fly now than perhaps they did in the past, so adding more nights is probably not going to be a big hit.

The only thing we can do is get more members, so people with a life doesnt have such a big effect

• 1. DDz Quorum

So, yes, we do need new members.

How are we going to get them? We should make a concentrated effort, and properly prepare it.

What about: (just thinkin' out loud here)

- A 'team' of recruiters that will set it up. Two or three members?

- We need a new, fresh web page for that, where people can easily "sign up". (What we have now is too old/stale/long - as far as I can tell ... lol). - Properly describe our group, announcing what we fly, when and where. And our spirit(s). 

- Mentioning our 'events' (which are those?)

If/when we start recruiting actively,  we do need to make sure what we offer/announce is true to what we deliver. /can deliver  We need to be ready.

Meaning, if we get someone interested, and he/she clicks on a link, reads something, and tries and contact us - response should be swift and accurate. Sign up procedure should be easy - not too cumbersome. (I really dunno whát the current sign up is though...)

Like said, just some ideas. Should we create a new thread, in maybe a less public place to discuss this all? That is - if my ideas on this are valid and being supported by us all :)

• Like 3

I've done as much as i could in terms of recruitment , but from all the guys i invited and joined our ranks only Dan is constantly flying with us , on both Il2 and CloD. And of course i call Thor every Tuesday :-).

I will also invite some Finns and Germans for the Tuesday show - guess you know them from SEOWs - we'll see their response.

But i also think that the ones from the kennel still here is mainly due to the fact we have solidified over the years a former virtual into a real one friendship - enjoying every minute together, laughing or empathizing , no more points competitors...I am sure we all wanted to prove (to ourselves firstly) something about flying in the past years, remember Flight Ladder , or TopGun competitions...well, that's all gone, at least for me ...

Ah, one more thing...disturbing...some of us are getting older...and old gits like to stick to oll habits :-)...Yep, i had the guts to call it loudly and , why not, with pride !

Stay where the fun is !

~S~

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ovy said:

I

Ah, one more thing...disturbing...some of us are getting older...and old gits like to stick to oll habits :-)...Yep, i had the guts to call it loudly and , why not, with pride !

Stay where the fun is !

~S~

I am growing old but I have no intention of growing up:shaunv2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, DD_Fenrir said:

1) 32-bit Program Support - we have to acknowledge the possibility that at some point in the future, windows support for 32-bit programs will disappear - this means no more Il-2:1946! There are of course ways around these things but this is an important aspect that must be recognised.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4604/

:unsure:

• 2. Administrators

Fortunately this has no bearing on the ability of Windows to run IL-2 1946. It just means that anyone running on a 32-bit version of Windows won't be able to get any more driver updates.

1 hour ago, Jabo said:

It just means that anyone running on a 32-bit version of Windows won't be able to get any more driver updates.

Uh uh.  It means a major player is abandoning 32bit support for its products.  

I suspect Microsoft won't be too far behind now.

The writing is on the wall.

• 2. Administrators
10 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I suspect Microsoft won't be too far behind now.
The writing is on the wall.

I’m not sure this is automatically the case. Less than 8% of new Windows machines were shipping with a 32-bit operating system in 2015 and (according to some figures) that’s down to less than 2% now so it sounds like nVidia are just making a sound commercial decision.

Too many businesses and governments rely on 32-bit applications for MS or Apple to simply pull the plug on 32-bit application support overnight.

That said, it will happen eventually, I’m sure but we’re probably OK for a few years yet. Don't forget that Windows had 16-bit application support all the way up to Vista!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm........nothing is going to happen overnight but its certainly going to happen in the near future.  Local government and the NHS (but not the MoD:rolleyes:) have already had a great cull of all things Windows XP and in their terms of reference this really was an 'overnight' thing.

I've no doubt Microsoft have already made their own sound business decision about the future of 32bit support - we just don't know it yet.  I have a feeling that too many businesses and governments relying on 32 bit applications will not slow down any Microsoft decision but actually accelerate it. 

The temptation to declare an end to security updates for 32bit applications and the ensuing sales of 64bit supported software might be a tidal wave of liquidity too big to resist.B) 

• 2. Administrators
6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Local government and the NHS (but not the MoD:rolleyes:) have already had a great cull of all things Windows XP and in their terms of reference this really was an 'overnight' thing.

True, and what a fine job they made of it too. (I worked for the company delivering the NHS upgrade (I was on a different project thank God) - complete clusterf**k from beginning to end)

6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I've no doubt Microsoft have already made their own sound business decision about the future of 32bit support - we just don't know it yet.  I have a feeling that too many businesses and governments relying on 32 bit applications will not slow down any Microsoft decision but actually accelerate it. 

The temptation to declare an end to security updates for 32bit applications and the ensuing sales of 64bit supported software might be a tidal wave of liquidity too big to resist.B) 

I'm sure the decision has been made too, but I doubt the user base will accelerate the process especially if the replacement 64-bit software doesn't exist.

Anyhoo...all a moot point until MS actually decide to tell their customers what they're planning.

Here is the "old Farts" ideas: I feel for what we are all used to and how we fly, IL2 is king. I too am tired of CLOD for same reason as Swepers.. DCS is too complicated, to much button pushing that takes for ever to get into the air. Great sym but not for a squad like ours. BOS is about the same with more aircraft, but complexity turns me off some, but hey I'm old....OK?

I'm not knowledgeable of Xbox syms due to not having one, but if the DDs go that route I'll follow. I truly enjoy my times with all of you and think of you as family and look forward to the time I get to fly with you. I appreciate you putting up with a guy who is getting slower on the sticks  and flying into the ground and enemy aircraft...well at least I took out the target...hehehehe

I appreciate all of your patience with my computer skills and guide me through the new stuff.

That's my Two cents worth....Long live the Dangerdogz! 

• Like 2