We need to talk...

DD_Fenrir

Yes and no. I spent a bit of time setting it up and then ran into problems with the headset loosing the HDMI connection. I got on to Amazon and they said return it and we will give a refund :) It gets better, the refund is £399.99 and a replacement will cost £350 :):) AND they are giving me a £10 compo. I am picking up the replacement from PC World tomorrow and it comes with a 2 year guarantee so I am £60 better off and have hopefully 2 years of trouble free simming

Well after some faffing about I tried a flight in BoS. It was a bit blurry due to the lens not fitting properly in the Rift but WOW :) The P-40 cockpit feels quite a tight fit and the sensation of height makes it feel very real.  It might take some time for me to adjust the seating position on all the aircraft and get the controls/VoiceAttack settings up and running but it will be well worth it. The lens inserts I got are from VR labs and I cant seem to get them positioned right. I have ordered some extra padding for the Rift and hopefully things should improve as the image sharpens up a bit if I move the headset away from my face and it will give some room for my glasses if needed.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
12 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I want to see if you look like Jacques CousteauB) 

That would not be good... I think it was back in 1989 when I was close - within icon range - to the Notre Dame in Paris, during J's funeral services? Oh dear. That's ... close to 30 years!

• 3 months later...

For me the order would be 1946, DCS, BoX, CLOD.  I haven't flown the new CLOD but a few minutes; 87 to be exact.   46 is still "where it's at" for me, at least in theory, especially when doing the aforementioned Dogz "thing" of just knocking about and spending time with friends of similar interests.  DCS is great - but - as mentioned, the time requirement to learn a specific system (aircraft) is outrageous; yet that's exactly what makes DCS DCS.  It does a great job at it, but it also has some major issues along the "this aircraft is a beta" line for YEARS on end.  Almost like they don't want to own up to the fact that they've accepted money for an unfinished product.  But they wouldn't do that, now would they?  It's as close as you'll ever get to the real thing without the real thing, though.  BoX is okay, but I'm not huge into the Russian stuff, and while it might get better with the pending release of some U.S. and British stuff, I'm still not 100% convinced.   At least, unlike CLOD, you've got some varied scenery to mess with.

As for what's best for the group, as much as I hate to admit it, I'd agree BoX is your best bet for a long term outlook.

• 10 months later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Good question Crasheroony. Like Kira I just love spending time with as many Dogz online together as possible. Many of us have invested money in our equipment so that we can play the “newer” sims. Many of us still enjoy the variety that 46 brings.

Each of us should perhaps do what Kira did and state our ideal choices in order of preference.......

GBS, DCS, 46, CLOD. This order reflects my own personal view on the best way forward for the squad to some extent if I am honest.

If we feel that we can still do them all then nothing needs to change of course.

PS I miss flying with the CLOD guys so it’s complicated ! ?

Order of preference for me (in the what it's worth department):

1) DCS (complexity), 2) GBS (game play/complexity), 3) CLoD (historical/complexity), 4) 1946 (nostalgia to my "vitual" beginnings). In truth, throw them all in a hat, pick one as long as the Dogz are involved, I am enjoying them all.

10) Keeping key mapping memorized ?! 11) Staying healthy enough to fly everyday!

• Haha 1

I do think we need to look at rejigging what we do & when we do it. What would a DCS night look like? Might it be worth doing a HSFX long mission once a month? and the other 3 Sundays Great Battles or DCS? I feel that we need to get what the guys who dont turn up much would like to change and would it make a difference to attendance.

• 1. DDz Quorum
12 minutes ago, Crash said:

I do think we need to look at rejigging what we do & when we do it. What would a DCS night look like? Might it be worth doing a HSFX long mission once a month? and the other 3 Sundays Great Battles or DCS? I feel that we need to get what the guys who dont turn up much would like to change and would it make a difference to attendance.

1946 once a month? Might just as well drop it ...  :sheepsmile:

I do not see a valid solution here.  Ya can't keep em all four, ánd have significant numbers. So, you'd have to drop one or two, and if you do so - whichever you pick, you will also drop members with them ...

For me? Cliffs puts the biggest smile on my face, 2nd could still be 1946 - as I can build missions for that one - close behind it DCS. BoX I find mostly frustrating, nearly not as much fun as the others (too complex / too many weird control assignments with the lack of clickable cockpits, it does not feel as nice as the others - or it's maybe because I cannot make sense of the mission editing part?)

I dunno ... I really do not...

• Like 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

I think replies are showing that there is interest in all 4 sims. Perhaps leave the evenings as they are, I wouldn't like to lose anyone because their 'ride' isn't available due to a sim being unused by the Dogz.

We are very lucky as a community globally because of the availability of flight sims that we can enjoy and lucky as Dogz that we have an enthusiastic, helpful and wonderful group and the electronic wizardry to share them within. The downside IS the number of sims available I think, the days of only flying one sim exclusively are gone in the Dogz. 46 has been the mainstay for many years and has been honed to (almost) perfection by us but personal circumstances/equipment/preferences mean that 46 is no longer adequate as the core sim and numbers flying the sims available reflect these very personal choices. It appears to be inevitable that all this choice is going to be divisive and will naturally create highs and lows in attendances. I don't think we will have a core sim in the Dogz for many years, if at all. 

• Like 2

• 2. Administrators
22 hours ago, Sid said:

I think replies are showing that there is interest in all 4 sims. Perhaps leave the evenings as they are, I wouldn't like to lose anyone because their 'ride' isn't available due to a sim being unused by the Dogz.

We are very lucky as a community globally because of the availability of flight sims that we can enjoy and lucky as Dogz that we have an enthusiastic, helpful and wonderful group and the electronic wizardry to share them within. The downside IS the number of sims available I think, the days of only flying one sim exclusively are gone in the Dogz. 46 has been the mainstay for many years and has been honed to (almost) perfection by us but personal circumstances/equipment/preferences mean that 46 is no longer adequate as the core sim and numbers flying the sims available reflect these very personal choices. It appears to be inevitable that all this choice is going to be divisive and will naturally create highs and lows in attendances. I don't think we will have a core sim in the Dogz for many years, if at all. 

Yup. Given the number of groups that have gone to the wall over the last few years, perhaps it's the flexibility within the Dogz that you can fly your 'sim of choice' that's helped us continue in the way we have.

And, while we're still able to offer specific nights to all these sims, it does mean that we are offering the widest possible choice to potential new members. Most of the guys who have joined recently only fly one or two of these (which is fine) and it's only the total nutters that would try and fly a different sim (almost) every night of the week anyway...For the record, I do have all 4...ho hum.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

5 years on.... same question. Is it real life that has led to the numbers falling off a cliff? If it isnt then maybe we need to replace GBS with DCS (if that is more popular). If it isnt then any way to improve things. As it stands I cant really recommend our squad if only 4 or 5 people turn up regularly. thoughts please

I think that people are just bored a bit with Box , As a squad we have been flying the SIM for over 20 years together and box does not have as many planes or theatres as the old il2 so lacks a bit of variety, the only good turnouts are for special events now

DCS is the new shiny toy and interesting  as it throws up new challenges but unless we get start having coop type missions then I can't see it being a long term solution.  There is already a disparity on who has a particular plane and map so some communality will need to be agreed and I'm not sure some folk will want the expense of that just to keep flying.

Having said that I will still attend both SIM nights as much as possible 

• Like 4

I'm out due to real life, and other interests that pull me away seasonally, but the biggest reason is I'm just not satisfied with the Sims, with my current GPU, and I can't convince myself it's worth the expense considering my lack of free time to loaf off on the PC.

That being said, I miss the crap out of you guys!!!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I hate to even suggest this, but due to low numbers on GBS nights and general lack of interest in the GBS part of the Dogz forum is it worth keeping the GBS server going?

• 1. DDz Quorum

I wouldn't like to see it go yet however I don't think my personal circumstances would justify keeping it...it's the availability of GBS as an occasional drop in for me that works. The thing for me with GBS, apart from the time I currently don't have, is that the WW2 planeset and maps being produced by the Devs are repetitive. Apart from the Waco I have seen nothing in the roadmap that interests me hence the reason I fly DCS more - I have only bought the Waco in the past months whereas I used to buy pretty much everything. The I-153 and the Karelia map has some interest for me but I don't think there will be enough Dogz to provide the numbers to give it a good go.  

Until 'Korea' comes along and after that Jason's 'Pacific' scenario GBS is an option to choose other than DCS. When these new ones come along I think interest will return and this would be the time to swap GBS out.

What about swapping Sundays or Tuesdays for DCS, as the turnout is poor. We have to go on public severs that dont allow mods and its not the same as are old Coops.

• 1. DDz Quorum

@Sid - don't know if you have watched the DCS 2024 and beyond video but the corsair and hellcat plus carriers and Japanese planes are coming....at some point

@Crash - Sundays are difficult for me at the moment due to real life stuff but if people who do not have DCS wanna try it for free and need a helping hand we could work something out.

To anyone who says they have no interest in DCS watch the 2024 and beyond video. I originally did not want to touch it, but I have become a definite convert and do not miss GBS at all, the co-op nights and banter yes, but DCS is growing and we are getting a growing turnout and are starting to get the same sort of vibe.