We need to talk...

DD_Fenrir

• 1. DDz Quorum
3 hours ago, Crash said:

Look at the names on the first post, 32 available or wanted to fly

6 years ago we had lots of members who flew. It is a shame that it is a shadow of what it once was.

Disagree... it's not a shame. It's too bad. But it's not a shame.

This could be a language thing, but to me, using the word 'shame'  means there's someone to blame for it...  I think that's not the case here. 

• 2. Administrators

Not sure I entirely agree about the lack of variety in CloD - true, we fly the Spits and Hurris a lot, and I like to think some of us have got pretty good with them too, but there are other things to do within the context of our server - Fen, FT and I were flying Ju-88's on a raid yesterday evening (True, only 2 got as far as the target and only 1 got home so...). So what if the map doesn't change? There is (for me anyway) a considerable amount of enjoyment (and satisfaction) in navigation by using known landmarks and sun position etc.

Each to their own though.

I have been largely away because of personal issues and in the past year I'm unable to get to my 'puter until minutes before everyone is packing it in because of work. I'm awaiting developments in CloD eagerly and I have pretty much decided to start picking up with BoX as I can afford it. I am a little leery of spending money on games because other people are playing them, as I have a whole stack of those that I've played for a minute then lost interest when every one else did, but I don't consider the Dogz "other people", so yeah, I'm for certain interested in keeping up with whatever transpires here, and I hope to be able to join up more in the future.

In the end no matter that I enjoy space games and Shooters and any number of other computer related distractions, flight sims are my first love and the Dogz are my squad whatever else happens.

• Like 3

• 2. Administrators
6 hours ago, Crash said:

How many new players have joined in the past 2 years? I can only think of Wingflyer. How many flew last night?

Difficult to say but I reckon he's the only one Dave.

Last night Ovy, Dan, Jabo, FT, Sweper, Blubear, Fenrir, Papabear were all on although not all at the same time as Ovy and Dan left early on.

1 hour ago, Crash said:

Nick there will be a free to try in the first quarter next year. :) BadAim, right on commander :)

I already have it Dave, but I thought it might be useful for those wanting to take a look before committing the cash.

On 16/11/2017 at 7:51 PM, Crash said:

Look at the names on the first post, 32 available or wanted to fly

6 years ago we had lots of members who flew. It is a shame that it is a shadow of what it once was.

Has anyone tried to contact those who were once regular on here but have fallen away ? Perhaps there is a way to get them back from time to time, might just be mission types or time slots that we could adjust, probably "Real Life " sim but might be worth an e-mail  shot

Hang on a minute.  Some good ideas here but you don't want to go off half-cocked.

No point in going on an e-mail campaign when we haven't got anything to offer. 

I'll put my (small) thoughts down later tonight when I've eaten the enormous curry my missus is preparing and I've bathed my adonis-like body!:P

All is not lost !    Quite the contrary in fact.

Crash is on point as far as I'm concerned, have found it impossible to play anything let alone sims on 2D screen since I got VR.

I may have to grit my teeth and install BoS as it apparently has VR support, the new IL2 franchise seems to be the future for the dogs ongoing shenanigans and Clod may even get the VR treatment, that will certainly lure me back into the fold.

Not me.  I bought an Oculus Rift 3 months ago and tested DCS, IL2 BoX, Elite Dangerous, and other games.  I don't like VR for DCS.  The game is too complicated to play without seeing my keyboard, hotas, and second monitor.  BoX and ED are playable with it and it looks ok.  But the graphics quality is reduced by at least half for me.  I have triple screens and graphics quality looks great on them.  VR is still in it's infancy.  It will be several years I think before I see it mainstream.  The most impressive tech I have see is they use eye tracking to only process the best graphics at the point where you are looking.  That looks very realistic and is far less demanding.  They were getting very high fps and what the user saw was much more detailed.  But I digress.

I guess I have just spent so much to get very high graphics to lose so much of it in VR.  I consider VR a fun toy at this point.

On 14/11/2017 at 11:17 PM, DD_Fenrir said:

The group was running for many years under Il-2:1946 and it's predecessors and the DangerDogz more relaxed approach to flight simming was fairly unique; no training regimens, no attendance related membership, etc. These casual flyer attractions brought a regular influx of new members even when the game was 10-12 years old. I feel that the same would be true nowadays.

Absolutely spot on!  The demand is still there and is growing again. 

Remember;  we are the laid-back chaps of l 'equipe Blairgowrie and our motto is debet fugere omnis!:thumbsu:

There are plenty of organised squads in the world of combat flight sims and unfortunately most of 'em seem to wear jack boots.  Well we're the unorganised guys and we wear our wives underwear!   Bring it on!:salute:

So the good news;

There is still plenty of time to take a considered and unanimous approach amongst the Dogz and still plenty of time to enjoy lots more IL2 1946.

When the time comes to retire '46 then it would seem to me the most obvious successor,  the one most like '46 is the BoX series......and by a margin too.

Tomorrow we'll explore the how and the why and the pros and the cons.     In the meantime, can you remember how much you paid for your original copy of Forgotten Battles or Pacific Fighters?

• 1. DDz Quorum
11 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

There is still plenty of time to take a considered and unanimous approach amongst the Dogz and still plenty of time to enjoy lots more IL2 1946.

+1,000,000,000

We needed to take a purview on the future for the Dangerdogz and a discussion of what the combat flightsim genre is looking like and where it is headed is irrevocably tied into that vision.

No-one, least of all I, was talking about binning 1946 anytime soon but we needed to acknowledge it's successor(s) and where we would likely end up looking in the future.

From all the discussion here the trend looks towards  Il-2:BoX, though I wouldn't write CloD off yet, especilaly with v5.0 on the horizon. There is justifiable and entirely practicable argument for allocating future facilities for both. 

The issues with BoX will come in who owns what map.

CloD v5 looks like it will be a straight expansion of the existing game.

37 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

The issues with BoX will come in who owns what map.

CloD v5 looks like it will be a straight expansion of the existing game.

All maps are included in all versions BUT you can only fly on the map for the version you bought when flying solo.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32373-general-question-about-il2-series/

As for Clod it has been nearly a year since the announcement and its not here yet. I have a feeling that TF 5.0 will not be along soon.

• 2. Administrators

19 minutes ago, Crash said:

It will be payware.

Has that been definitively confirmed? I've not seen that. I agree that it's highly probable though - hence the use of 'may'.

Rather a moot point though given that 4.5 is not out yet. 2 weeks is probably about right. :thumbsu:

• 2. Administrators
25 minutes ago, Crash said:

All maps are included in all versions BUT you can only fly on the map for the version you bought when flying solo.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32373-general-question-about-il2-series/

As for Clod it has been nearly a year since the announcement and its not here yet. I have a feeling that TF 5.0 will not be along soon.

Let me see if I have this right - I currently own BoS and BoM (both premium) so although the Kuban map would be in my install (eventually) I could still only fly on the Stalingrad or Moscow maps? That would seem to make sense.

One big drawback with BoX, no Beaufighter :(