And the next one: A bridge, an old one: Ships

FoolTrottel

• 1. DDz Quorum

Line up of all nine ships.Dscf0811.jpg

The longer deck created, and mounted is a test fit. And hey, it all fits, and lines up!Dscf0813.jpg

So, next up is creating over 70 cm's of railings... 

Here's a shot of the set up I created for transforming them bamboo cocktail pickers into planks for the deck.

On the left, coffee! Below that, the remnants of the pickers, the curly bit I cannot use. Then there's the small container holding the end product. Above it the raw materials. Then there's the cutting device, with some extra tool so I can cut the things at a constant length. As each picker has a pointy end, that needs to be cut off. And when I do that, the small cut off bit just flies off, up up and away! The box to the right will catch some of them :) 

Dscf0812.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

FT thats fantastic!  Oh yeah, tell us more about your Pope in the water.  I'm intrigued:P

Well, not much to tell there, we never found him, but we managed to quickly find a döppelgänger in the local old folks home, and sent him back to the Vatican ... :bg:

• 1. DDz Quorum

Oh, sure. The bridge is no longer there now :)

A few years ago, they've created a small pier where the bridge used to be, in a similar shape and style.

264900.jpg

It's in use by the small ferry, you can it in the picture, the small white one on the other side of the river, a bit to the left.

Here's where it docks, and you can see they've used ships again: 

NL.2731+extra+5.jpg

What is extra special, is that this bridge used to end up exactly and spot on where my pub is. (Even came across some plan by the city council, dated around 1870-ish, to demolish the building the pub is in, and create a passage straight from the bridge's end into the city centre.) It's the grey-ish building in between the  white house and the brick like tower in the first picture here.

• 1. DDz Quorum
On 19/10/2017 at 12:42 PM, Painless said:

Does your pub have a name like "The Bridge Tavern" or something ?

Actually, no.

But, there's is a story to its name, and it's kinda related to the bridge.

The name is 'De Leugenbanke' which kinda translates in to the "bench of lies" (?) 

There used to be a small building there, open at the front, with benches in it. Older people - all men for sure - would gather there, and talk shop. And all kinds of big stories, like the ones fisher men talk of, the size of the fish they got on their lines... :)

Dscf0830.jpg

Next bit done, the fixed part, where the lifting part will be connected. 
Now as you can tell, I apparently have decided what water level to go for. It was determined by me coming across the four creatures in the second picture. 
They should be on grass, so I need to have a green bank, so I cannot go for a high water level. Decision making can be so simple ...

Dscf0827.jpg

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Thats just wonderful FT.   You didn't tell us about the lifting bridge!:salute:

How are you going to model the cow shit?

You sure I did not mention it? Maybe checkout the first post in the thread again... I know it's been a while!

Cow shit? Hm, thanks for the tip, I could go 1/1 scale for that :)

Thanks for the compliment!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Another model built, in a perspex/plexiglass box:

Img_0744.jpg

Should you want to read more about the build itself, have a look at the facebook page BuildingAModelBridge!

Here's an image of the original one, back in 1919 or so... it's got a nick name: The elephant's bridge, guess how come?

olifantsbrug-2-e1508230382289.jpg

• Like 3