Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BluBear

French Spitfire comes a cropper

17 posts in this topic

Regular to Flying Legends (down to display again this year) has had a serious incident at a show in France.

Prop strike early on in the take off run causes the Mk XIX to flip onto it's back.

Reports indicate the pilot is injured but will be ok and a member of the crowd was hurt by flying shards of wood from the propeller.

Video here, shocking lack of emergency cover...

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?142549-Serious-Spitfire-crash-in-France

Is that the griffon one that used to have the contra-prop? Nasty prang but you're right, the emergency response was not exactly rapid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bloody hell ! Lack of crowd control, firefighting equipment and ambulance is as you say Chris, "shocking" !

8 hours ago, Jabo said:

Is that the griffon one that used to have the contra-prop? Nasty prang but you're right, the emergency response was not exactly rapid

Yes mate, owned by Christophe Jacquard I believe. I think it's been at Legends most years in the last decade.

Lots of questions over whether it should have been operating off grass in the first place. It had a similar mishap a few years ago, clipping the grass on landing rollout sending shards flying.

Hmmm, IIRC the griffon spits operate from the hard runway unless it's been particularly dry.

8 minutes ago, Jabo said:

Hmmm, IIRC the griffon spits operate from the hard runway unless it's been particularly dry.

Indeed, at DX they have always operated them on the hard from what I remember. 

I believe I have a photo of JE-J taking off from the grass but that's the only time I can recall it happening.

Are his flaps down? They look to be extended for takeoff.

1 hour ago, CaptJackG said:

Are his flaps down? They look to be extended for takeoff.

No, i'd say they're just protruding post impact as the wings have been creased backwards, probably breaking the spar in the process.

Spitfire flaps are either fully down or up and only used for landing.

+1. The general consensus seems to be that the main spar was broken when the torque generated by the prop strike threw the wing into the ground. I'd say this one will be down for a very long time

Main spar broken? Oh dear...

Not confirmed FT, just speculation at this stage

If you look at 3:25 they are down before the prop strike.

I'm wondering if he was thinking about putting them down to get light on the gear for the grass field takeoff.

I don't think I can see flaps down Jack.  I can see those two big radiators and the flaps on those are fully open.   Found this;

Judging by that, the spar in the starboard wing does look like it's broken, the wing has collapsed on that side when the aircraft comes to rest. You can see the prop blade that caused the injury in the crowd fly off early on

Definitely not down, such a beautiful plane to lose. Hopefully the pilot is ok.

That was painful to watch. If the IL2 version of the griffon Spittie is any indication, taking off from perfectly flat concrete is plenty dangerous enough, grass is just slightly suicidal. It looks like she's going to be hors de combat for a while.