Mobo and Processor Replacement

DD_Fenrir

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thanks to my marvellous family and friends generosity on the B'day I'm able to consider a MoBo and processor upgrade.

Now having sourced the bits (Intel Core I7-7700K 4.20 GHz, Gigabyte Z270P-D3 Intel Socket 1151 Motherboard and 16G of DDR4 RAM - cos the DDR3 RAM I have currently is incompatible, balls!) I'm reluctant to commit to purchase because I'm not sure how to proceed.

The issue being that the existing Windows 10 install is to an Socket AM3 AMD chipset and Gigbayte Mobo; can I just disassemble the old, put the GFX card and current HD in the new, plug in the PSU and just let it sort itself out on load...

or am I in for a whole world of pain?

Your thoughts much appreciated.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Will depend on the size of the case, whether the mounting points are the same.

Next, the power supply, Mobo should have similar connectors, probably no worries there.

But, as you're moving from AMD to Intel?  Chipset drivers could be an issue, though same brand Motherboard.

Check Gigabyte site whether it has specific drivers for Windows 10. (Link to Gigabyte)

Download all the drivers from there first, and keep them close.

It's been a while for me since I've tried something like this... 

Biggest issue might be the AHCI/SATA stuff... if that's being used on your current install... well, it might be W10 might not even want to start from the HD.

Not sure whether you can easily switch the new board back to Sata only (in Bios), and then run the AHCI driver.

Like said, it's been a while!! Maybe I see trouble where it is not really there. Jabo should know more on this, I'm sure.

Oh, and W10 will probably want you to re-activate it, you may be needing a phone.

Great stuff you got there BTW, that should fly along rather nicely :)