The Airplane Pictures Thread

Kira

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Russian Armed Forces museum in Moscow today, great museum full of stuff from the middle ages to today, spent more than 3 hours there. Some very unique things too, like parts of Gary Powers' U2, artifacts and a porthole from the Kursk submarine, an entire tail section of a Heinkel 111 downed over Moscow, and overall a massive WW2 collection of weapons and other things - and on top of that, they have an even bigger museum actually dedicated to WW2 that I haven't visited yet, this is the Armed Forces-in-general museum. (and a dedicated tank museum....and a dedicated aircraft museum...both on huge grounds outside of Moscow, there were no WW2 planes here)

First of all, I finally got to see my love up close. She wasn't looking her best, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

9nV7eDE.jpg

Look at those curves! Even worn with age she shines with elegance!

Lznn9qn.jpg

The iconic Kamov Ka-25

9kfvxvC.jpg

Tail section of the He-111, this is the underside

5B5GLYQ.jpg

Gary Powers' U2 wreckage with ejection seat

Zuq4dHk.jpg

mbtPLyQ.jpg

sI5ja6m.jpg

Since we're already here, some other things I found pretty interesting or very unique:

US pilot letter to would be hosts in case of ejection (Vietnam era)

KdNmDfv.jpg

Japanese Nambu pistol, very rare, never thought I'd see one of these for real.

6XLreNt.jpg

Reichstag eagle. I'd say as far as one-of-a-kind exhibits are concerned, this takes the cake for today. From the looks of it, it seems that it fell on its head :D

20h11AF.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...