Can't put it off any longer

Perfesser

So NO freetrack. Installed another... opentrack. Just stumbled on a better setup than I ever had in Freetrack.

Took off on the second try in the 51. And I think the 8th try as well. The rest were less than good. Even landed once with no damage.

I'll need some help with control setup at some point.  Game? Simulation? Grrrrrrrr

On 12/25/2016 at 5:50 AM, Perfesser said:

So NO freetrack. Installed another... opentrack. Just stumbled on a better setup than I ever had in Freetrack.

Took off on the second try in the 51. And I think the 8th try as well. The rest were less than good. Even landed once with no damage.

I'll need some help with control setup at some point.  Game? Simulation? Grrrrrrrr

The way to get Freetrack to work in DCS is to download and open Opentrack, start DCS, minimize DCS, start Freetrack and then turn off Opentrack, maximize DCS and now it should work. Clunky but working.

Disregard if you really like Opentrack more, I find it crappy compared to Freetrack.

• 2. Administrators

I used Opentrack with my EDtracker setup (that was what they recommended) and it seemed to work OK although the centering was a little wayward at times. That said, I have now gone back to TIR as it does just 'work' with the minimum of fiddling about - I quite understand that the frankly extortionate price tag can be off-putting though.

Hmpf.

Tried that procedure, all goes well till I try to start Freetrack - immediately get  "Freetrack.exe has stopped working".

On the bright side it seems if you calibrate opentrack carefully under the input "hammer" symbol and under "model" tab such that the red "X" is in the center of your head it helps a lot with the drifting center. Or at least it does with a 3 point CAP model. I can see how a clip looses center easily just by the geometry(off center to begin with, close reference points). A cap has 250mm between the 2 farthest points and rotates equidistantly around your head's pivot point. A clip is less than 100mm and off-center to begin with.

On the other hand, if I tossed $1 into a can for every hour I've spent "saving money" with Freetrack I could have TIR 5 plus a spare.

Weird that your freetrack is crashing.

The above procedure works for me in the two games that I have that don't recognize Freetrack alone (Elite: Dangerous and DCS). Apparently what ever needs to initialize those games' recognition of headtracking software is absent from Freetrack but not absent from Opentrack, hence when you open Opentrack it kind of enables the game to register the head tracking software, and it'll then recognize Freetrack too. It's like Opentrack is the ignition for Freetrack to work.

Try closing Opentrack before opening Freetrack, two head tracking programs running at the same time can cause all sorts of weird behaviors.