Spitfire IX

FoolTrottel

• 1. DDz Quorum

lol Rox!

Turns out my X55 is officially a POS, so sticky any semblance of fine control is impossible. Looking at modding it now, guy who works for me has a 3D printer so going to get him to make a couple of couplers for me, and extend the crap out of it (floor mount the blasted thing so I get a ton of leverage).

I can make it so it is fully functional by including the electrical connectors and keeping the twisty bit I don't actually use...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ Roger

On 19/12/2016 at 0:33 AM, B16Enk said:

lol Rox!

Turns out my X55 is officially a POS, so sticky any semblance of fine control is impossible. Looking at modding it now, guy who works for me has a 3D printer so going to get him to make a couple of couplers for me, and extend the crap out of it (floor mount the blasted thing so I get a ton of leverage).

I can make it so it is fully functional by including the electrical connectors and keeping the twisty bit I don't actually use...

this might be of help https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/317879-Saitek-x55-amp-x56-Pro-Rhina-Permanent-Fix

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thanks Dave, that may prove useful when I get more use out of the throttle now I have *finally* fixed the stick!

Fixing the stick - wow what a saga!

I was able to extend the stick and made it floor standing using 1.25" diameter PVC tubing, latex and plaster for various moulds (getting that pesky screw thread bit for example) and had really fine control with no spikes at long last!

Unfortunately as predicted the stick displacement meant separation between stick and desk an chair became uncomfortable - I could set curves but a bend is really required to permit pitch up to be with stick 'in lap' whilst permitting full pitch down without striking the desk. Bits on order for this so I revisited the initial issue.

Design flaw with X55 is the centering is via a spring loaded conical collar running on a cylindrical shaft, both made of ABS. Tolerances are so slack that the shaft is actually not cylindrical, and this causes binding of the collar. This manifests as intermittent sticking as it travels up the shaft, which results in sudden jumps in control input. Far from ideal with a flighty warbird (or helicopter for that matter).

I bit the bullet and disassembled the entire lower half of the stick, this required cutting the 10 wires that transmit the button presses and rudder input (I don't use the latter).

I was then able to separate shaft and collar, and applied abrasive paper using a cordless drill to get the shaft more truly cylindrical, and polished to a high gloss finish.

Reassembled and Vaseline applied, I now have a joystick that performs as originally designed - took a freaking day to do it though!!!!

Can now take off, land, and maneuver the spitfire at long last [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji106]

• Like 2

• 1. DDz Quorum
On 12/28/2016 at 11:54 AM, Crash said:

Dave - that link was very timely!

Once I got the stick working I found my throttle was doing really  weird stuff, took it apart to find I had 10+ wires cracked and there was shorting amongst them due to the grease.

Took a hell of a lot of cleaning up so I could solder and tape them, as a temporary repair whilst my ribbon cable is on it's way for the permanent fix.

Saitek X55 has got to be the worst quality controlled HOTAS ever produced!!!