Just got word we lost Taildrag

T_O_A_D

Robert Smith aka Taldrg

TD fresh out of boot.jpg

Not sure if or how many knew him, but he flew Corsairs in WW2 and flew IL2 he was a JO memeber, and AH as well.

Bear let me know about it a few minutes ago. He passed this afternoon in the ambulance age 91 of heart attack.

I captured a track with him once and a TS recording that I have often thought of making a movie of, but on that day he had other things pressing (his wife was very ill) and fell out of formation.

S! Taildrag Rest In Peace!

Here is that recording I spoke of, its full of banter. :-) Taildrag (aka Taldrg) Sid, OT, Badaim, Snako myself and a couple others, it will make you chuckle or it did me listening to it again.

Taildrag ts3_recording_10_02_16_17_46_4.wav

Here are the tracks I can get the carrier landing one to play in Stock 4.12.2

But the F4u flight will not, any of you have some other versions other than that ans History Mod you could try it in, Then I'll reinstall what ever version that is.

It appears to of ben recorded 2-16-2010 to give an idea of possible installs.

TOAD and Taildrag F4U Zero's.ntrk

TOAD and Taildrag fm2 carrier landing.ntrk

After messing a bit I think its becasue I don't have the Slot map installed from back then.

If I can find it can that be placed in the normal game or Mods or JSGME?

Been waiting for ti to get posted.

Here is his Obit page.

http://www.worthamfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Robert-W-Smith?obId=1245047#/celebrationWall

Robert William Smith Robert “Bob” William Smith 90, of Cherokee Village passed away December 7, 2016 at White River Medical Center Batesville, Arkansas. Mr. Smith was born June 7, 1926 in Peoria, Illinois, the son of James Robert and Alice Smith. He proudly served his country as a US Marine. He was retired from being a commercial pilot and moved to Cherokee Village in 1986. He was an active member of the First Baptist Church of Cherokee and enjoyed teaching Sunday School “Happiness Is” class, in singing in the choir, an avid golfer and worked with various charities. On March 21, 1951 in Peoria Illinois, he married his wife of 58 years, Rose Ann Simmons. She preceded him in death on March 8, 2010 No survivors but an abundance of friends. Contact the First Baptist Church of Cherokee Village for the date of a Memorial Service to honor and remember Robert William Smith. Memorials may be sent to First Baptist Church of Cherokee “building fund.” 

• Like 1

I remember Taildrag.  His wife was in a care home and the kids had moved away.....BG used to email him and he joined us a couple of times for UbiZoo coops.  He was very well spoken and had old-school manners - called everyone Sir.  It was pretty humbling to fly with him.

Does anyone recall his full name?  I'd like to read an obituary.  I seem to remember he had quite an extraordinary story.  He was interested in flying as a kid and got a job at a local field.  In the course of this they taught him to fly.  This was around 1940 -'41.  Just after his eighteenth birthday he applied for pilot training but was rejected as he didn't have a college education.  He became a Marine flight mechanic. 

Fast forward eighteenth months and .....where was he?  Was it Saipan?  I think it was Saipan.  They'd been working their asses off, his unit had been taking losses and he was feeling pretty blue.  One day he decided to take a Dauntless he'd serviced for an unofficial air test!  He did a couple of circuits and then decided to land it and face the music.  After all - what was the worst thing they could do to him? Send him off to war!

What they did do - shortly after his interview with the CO - was send him to flight training school and he arrived back in the Pacific to see out the end of the war flying Corsairs.

I hope he's with his wife now and may they rest in peace together. 

• Like 2

Here is his Obit http://www.worthamfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Robert-W-Smith?obId=1245047#/celebrationWall

Robert William Smith Robert “Bob” William Smith 90, of Cherokee Village passed away December 7, 2016 at White River Medical Center Batesville, Arkansas. Mr. Smith was born June 7, 1926 in Peoria, Illinois, the son of James Robert and Alice Smith. He proudly served his country as a US Marine. He was retired from being a commercial pilot and moved to Cherokee Village in 1986. He was an active member of the First Baptist Church of Cherokee and enjoyed teaching Sunday School “Happiness Is” class, in singing in the choir, an avid golfer and worked with various charities. On March 21, 1951 in Peoria Illinois, he married his wife of 58 years, Rose Ann Simmons. She preceded him in death on March 8, 2010 No survivors but an abundance of friends. Contact the First Baptist Church of Cherokee Village for the date of a Memorial Service to honor and remember Robert William Smith. Memorials may be sent to First Baptist Church of Cherokee “building fund.”