We all know the heavy wing on the Hurri can get tiresome. APHill was mentioning he was looking for a fix so I got to thinking ......

My first test of the forces required was laughably simple yet so remarkably effective I'm going to use it.

hurritrim_zpsev3ir1pc.jpg

It's nothing but some metal strapping bent to a |_____|    shape, slid under the stick and an elastic band. A pencil is used here for a spacer to adjust tension.

NOTE: Remove pencil for Spitfire sortie.

I'm going to put jack screw where the pencil is for fine tuning but it works pretty well as is.

• Like 1

Blame AP but I'm having fun with this now.

hurritrim4_zpsgydp8ha7.jpg

This thing is just loaded with features:

Coarse setter (not to be confused with course setter) - Large adjustments to accommodate different sticks.

Tension cut-out (not to be confused with boost cut out) - Emergency release

24 thread pitch control (not to be confused with prop pitch control) -Tension fine tuning.

It's made with simulation grade hardware using period correct production standards (cobbled together from bits lying about the repair bay, all weld splatter, flash, scale, burrs, sharp edges, overspray, underspray, and grease left for that "front line operational squadron" feel).

Extensively tested and endorsed by an actual simulated pilot.

Versatile, works for elevator or aileron trim on many different aircraft in all flight sims.

Windows 10 compatible

Invulnerable to enemy fire.

Light weight, won't adversely affect the performance of your aircraft.

• Like 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

You áre indeed having fun Perf, it shows!  lol

I think Sweper is right, isn't that simply a mechanical adjustment for the axis, with which you can center it ... Was usefull in there when there was no other proper way to calibrate the stick if I remember correctly. And if you can center the stick with it, well, you can also off-center it, ie. Trim!

There should be one for the other axis as well?

Maybe it's range is not large enough?

The tube could totally use drop in cigar tray, or cup holder addon for the deserning pilot. Heck make it on both sides and just swing the band as needed, and have the cigar tray and cup holder at your disposal at the same time.

Myself would use the cigar tray for snacks. :thumbsu:

And the cup holder for Beer of course.

• 2. Administrators
1 hour ago, T_O_A_D said:

The tube could totally use drop in cigar tray, or cup holder addon for the deserning pilot. Heck make it on both sides and just swing the band as needed, and have the cigar tray and cup holder at your disposal at the same time.

Great, Perf does all this work and what does he get? 'Feature creep'

I'll get my coat

• Like 1

Yes Swep, the wheel does work in CLoD(and it has a pitch wheel too- and throttle) and everything else too, it's mechanical.   Works a  little too well.  The smallest input there is too much and you gently go into a left bank instead of right. It does work to preload the stick left with the wheel then use the trim device to level.

Really though, I wasn't so much thinking of myself as those who complained about the heavy wing. Most folks don't have the same stick and I wanted to see how easy it is to work around the shortcomings of the game. Version 1 with the elastic and pencil works pretty well. I like to tinker with stuff like this so the MKII version was a natural progression.

The real credit goes to some forgotten Russian who first thought to put a bungee cord, or more likely some landing gear shock cord on his I-16 as an elevator trim device, where I first got the idea.

And for the rest of you .. I'll work on a rear view mirror attachment, something we could really use.

• Like 2

I've wanted very much to keep this device on the right side of the stick (the left is in the way) using the stick preload adjustment but I just can't make it work. I can't get a good balance of stick forces in flight and trim forces to balance out. The selection of elastic material is critical. The plain ole elastic band works best putting the slightest left pressure on a mechanically centered stick.

I may even go back to version 1 (flat bar and pencil) to save space. Simply some metal bent into an "|____" and slid under the stick with an appropriately sized elastic band, possibly a spacer or two is something anyone could cobble together. Insert pencil for Hurricane ops.

This would be the simplest form, usually the most elegant solution to all problems and still Windows 10 compatible.

hurritrimfinal_zpsuapr6h8k.jpg

It apears there might be AP its called DIView Jack put me onto it a year or so ago. I have it in the vault from back then in Utilities.

A quick vid with phone. Not sure how it will affect other parts of flight, going to go test now.

Alieron Tweak.mp4

Edit: after testing more I've decided it doesn't work.

On 12/5/2016 at 10:52 PM, T_O_A_D said:

It apears there might be AP its called DIView Jack put me onto it a year or so ago. I have it in the vault from back then in Utilities.

A quick vid with phone. Not sure how it will affect other parts of flight, going to go test now.

Alieron Tweak.mp4

Edit: after testing more I've decided it doesn't work.

Well dang!