Dead Rig

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Bugger. Powered the PC on tonight (I've been using it fine today) and...nothing. Lights come on but no POST or beeps then a few seconds later the power goes off and then switches back on - repeat until bored. Unplugged all the drives, took out the Gfx card and all but one stick of ram. Still the same. Reset the CMOS, still the same. Sooo, PSU, CPU or Motherboard?

• 2. Administrators

Update to above. The PC completes the POST every fourth restart, but the power goes off before you can do anything else. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1. DDz Quorum

Further update to above. Rig is now completely dead, no lights, fans or anything happening now

Difficult one to call Nick, but it does sound like PSU to me.

Short of being able to swap out and test though, this will be difficult to diagnose...

• 2. Administrators

Thanks Rog, yep, this has got me scratching my head too, but there are some additional issues which also point to the PSU such has hard drives refusing to spin up which did eventually after some unplugging and replugging - I think a new PSU is probably a good idea. I'll get one on order today.

• 2. Administrators

Can't boot the thing to update the BIOS. It's not the PSU either. Bought a cheapo one this morning as a trial and it's giving me the same problem. I'm thinking that perhaps the mobo is the problem, but it's an LGA 1155 and you can't get them anymore. Anyone have a spare one they can offer a dog in distress?

I got here too late. the PSU can be jumped with it unplugged from MOBO, jump the green and the black wire in the middle just left of the clip IIRC. Didn't you just go spend some quality time with the Dogz and real airplanes?

I have afeel your computer Bitch got jealous. ;-)

• 2. Administrators

Thanks TOAD. I'm aware of the green/black trick to fool the PSU into starting up but beyond being able to measure the voltages on the pins (which I did) it didn't really tell me anything about the behaviour of the unit under load. Plus the PSU is the cheapest thing to replace so I felt it made sense to start there.

Jealous? Probably. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

So turns out the mobo was the problem. Replaced with one purchased from fleabay (thx Crash & Arthur) and everything is good again.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

On Sunday night my pc decided it was dead as the proverbial and I decided it was the psu.  Went into Maplins this morning and picked up a new one.  Back at home, just before axing my way into the packaging I read this thread, pulled the graphics card out and all but one stick of memory and turned it on.

Hmmm....fans come on, hd spins up and my Asus mobo gives me one long bleep and three short ones.  Not the psu then.

Put the graphics card back in and still one long bleep and three little 'uns.  According to my big book of Asus bleep codes that means no VGA; as in graphics card gone west!! :angry: 

So; nice one Jabo :salute:   Psu goes back to Maplins tomorrow and its off to ebay for a new graphics card.  Can't really justify splashing out as I've bought myself a very big two-wheeled toy recently so I'm thinking of a hundred squid limit and - if I'm lucky - an Nvidia 780 or a 770 with 4 gigs of memory.  Seems like plenty to choose from at the moment.

Considered a 960 but it dosen't seem much of a step up from my now dead 6600ti.

Any thoughts?

• 2. Administrators

780 will do pretty much everything you need for a good while yet. I'd probably go for that over a 960

Just one quick thought before you splash out Arthur, if your mobo has onboard graphics, does it work correctly with the graphics card removed? Could still be a mobo fault!