Windows 10 - Losing Game Controllers' Assignments

FoolTrottel

• 1. DDz Quorum

When using Windows 10, you may find that after a fresh boot of the computer, the order of the Game Controllers has suddenly changed.

You will find that your controls are not assigned the way they used to be...

The cause of this appears to be the 'fast start' option, it is new in Windows 10.

And, by default, after installing Windows 10 it is switched on.

So, switch it off!

How?

Simplest  of ways is by disabling 'Hibernation', as most of us are using desktops and have no need/use for hibernation.

Switching it off, also gains you some space on the system disk, side of some 75% of your computers RAM memory.

Right click the Windows icon bottom left in the taskbar.

Select 'Command Prompt (Admin)' from the menu.

In the dosbox that now appears, type the following command:

powercfg /h off

(It will return no messages, if it does, you've made a typo, or have not started the command prompt as an administrator.)

Next, type the command:

exit

All done!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Does that turn of fast start too FT? I'm sure there were two things I disabled via power options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does. Fast start needs the hibernation file to work, and by switching off hibernation, the hibernation file gets removed...

• 7 months later...

Digging up this older topic. Will the above fix work for controller assignments getting scrambled every time Win 10 downloads and installs an update. Currently I have a CH HOTAS (with rudder pedals) and the assignments swap around every update.  Thanks.

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, Gypsy said:

Digging up this older topic. Will the above fix work for controller assignments getting scrambled every time Win 10 downloads and installs an update. Currently I have a CH HOTAS (with rudder pedals) and the assignments swap around every update.  Thanks.

Probably... 

16 hours ago, Gypsy said:

Why not use CH manager to combine the controllers as 1946 will only use 4

Good Stuff Crash Going to place it here so we have it archived also.

By flug over at ATAG

Solution for pesky "joysticks scrambled AGAIN" issue

That's bad enough, but today I lost all force feedback from CLOD because I'd installed another joystick driver that has forcefeedback, and that new joystick driver just happens to be first on CLOD's list--meaning that all force feedback went to the WRONG joystick.

I think I have found a solution to this annoying problem. The solution allows you to re-order your joysticks any way you want, keep them in the same order time, and hide any joystick you like from CLOD. Even better, you can make different lists of joysticks/different orderings that will show up for different games.

The utility is called "devreorder" and you can download (with instructions) here:

Discussion with the developer here.

I went through the whole process to install the new dinput8.dll in both system32 AND sysWOW64. However, I would very much NOT recommend that approach for most people.

Instead, for most games, you can just copy the new/improved version of dinput8.dll to the same folder as your game's .exe file. (Same directory as Launcher.exe in the case of CLOD.) Launcher.exe is a 32-bit program so you need the x86 version of dinput8.dll. Just copy it to the same directory that Launcher.exe lives in.

However, that didn't work.

Bu then I had a bright idea and copied the same dinput8.dll to several of CLOD's subdirectories:

SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover
SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\parts\core
SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\parts\bob
SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\parts\IL2DCE
SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\parts\TEFCampaign

I put a devreorder.ini file in the same directory as Launcher.exe (SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover). I've zipped that sample .ini file and attached it to this message--click here to download:

And--it worked! My joysticks are ordered the way I want them, and it seems to work every time CLOD starts. I just moved the offending forcefeedback joystick driver (vJoy) down to the bottom of the list in the devreorder.ini file.

So, two points:

• You could do this too--it's a pretty painless way to solve the joystick scramble problem permanently.
    • Download the devreorder .zip file
    • Copy the x86 version of dinput8.dll to the five directories I've listed above
    • Edit devreorder.ini to list your joysticks in the order you want them & place that .ini in the same directory as your Launcher.exe
  • Does anyone know which subdirectory is actually the effective one to put dinput8.dll into? I would guess \parts\core - but it's hard to say without painstakingly testing every single combination . . .

• 2. Administrators

I'm trying this now.

+++ EDIT +++ The option of setting the entire system to use the standard profile for all games causes TIR  to fail on startup with a DLL error - DO NOT USE THIS OPTION!