Anyone Got A Handcart?

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

I'm possibly off to hell. I was footling around on the PC tonight when I realised my right leg was getting unusually warm and there was that distinct smell of hot electronics. Further investigation indicated a faulty cpu fan and after some slightly panicky checking of my temps records I realised that fortunately nothing had got too hot, just a bit hotter than usual. Sooo... PC is in bits (again), old cooler removed, bracket for cooler removed, case fan removed, cleaned and refitted in new location, cpu removed, cleaned and refitted. So now I'm just waiting for my snazzy new liquid cooling kit to arrive from ebuyer - it'll be here tomorrow and I shall keep you informed. Bye bye veedub, hello merlin!

83b8f010cb338ddbd048e313758f06ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I love it when you talk dirty Nick x

Well I thought this was going to be a bladder problem thread

I'm possibly off to hell. I was footling around on the PC tonight when I realised my right leg was getting unusually warm and there was that distinct smell 

Uh-hu.  I know that feeling. Definitely a middle-aged thing :P

• 2. Administrators

Gone for a corsair h75 - it'll be here tomorrow. In the meantime I've jury-rigged a cooler so I can use the rig. I'll post some pics before I swap it out. It's all a bit Heath Robinson right now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2. Administrators

So to the final part of my tale...

Here's a couple of photos of dogish ingenuity...That worked surprisingly well!

post-406-0-09436400-1460741514_thumb.jpg post-406-0-19037000-1460741568_thumb.jpg

The replacement kit

post-406-0-44466900-1460741729_thumb.jpg

Found that the cutout on the back of the case was not large enough for me to fit the backplate so out came all of the innards and the mobo.

New backplate for liquid cooler

post-406-0-31522600-1460741780_thumb.jpg

Fitting the risers

post-406-0-35681700-1460741825_thumb.jpg

Mobo, GPU and memory refitted then the heat exchanger and fans followed by the cooling block

post-406-0-06383200-1460742102_thumb.jpg post-406-0-31140000-1460742200_thumb.jpg

And the results of all this effort?

On average 10 degrees cooler when idling - now is 34degC average and 15+ degrees cooler under load - can't get it over 60degC under any circumstances (TJmax is 98degC for the i5-2500K). A happy Jabo!

• 2. Administrators

I could, but I don't feel that there's really a lot of point. The i5 gives me excellent performance as it is and going from 3.5 to 4.5GHz won't generate much (if anything) in terms of FPS but will generate a lot more heat and noise - both of which I'm trying to reduce as far as possible so - no, I'm going to take comfort from knowing that my CPU is at room temperature (ish) and is much happier because of it.