New Rig For Papabear

BluBear

Morning Gents!

I've been trying to find an opportunity to chat to some of you about a new rig build on comms, but it's been a bit busy lately and by the time co-ops start fizzling out i've clean forgotten about mentioning it! I'm sure the old man won't mind me posting this here on his behalf.

Long and short of it is, now the Tiger Moth is done, the next project at long last is a brand spanking new rig to run everything we fly.

The way it'll be funded means, he'd like to amass the components steadily throughout the year with the ultimate aim of it being ready to run by next winter.

It needs to be relatively future proof but not break-the-bank expensive, it needs to run DCS and CloD comfortably with a high graphics setting. (I imagine that would include an Nvidia 980 GPU or equivalent when the time comes?)

First on the list that can be purchased almost immediately, would be CPU+Mobo.

I see things have moved on somewhat since I built my 'new' rig two years ago, but the i5 is still the way to go right?

I've found this combo on ebuyer:

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz Socket 1150 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

£189.99

MSI Z97 GAMING 3 Socket 1150 VGA DVI HDMI DisplayPort 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

£95.99

Total: £285.98

Open to suggestions / direction :salute:

Thanks in advance Dogz!

• 2. Administrators

The 1150 is the old socket format and won't be around much longer  - the latest format is the 2011 v3. The i5 is still a good bet but get the unlocked 'K' variant.

There's no real need to go as far as a GTX980 GPU. I'm still running CloD, DCS and IL-2 maxed in 1920x1080 with good framerates on my GTX580 - I would suggest that  a 700 or 800 series chip would be plenty (and much cheaper as well - helps to offset the CPU and mobo cost).

Happy to talk this through whenever you need Chris

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, most appreciated!

I should be on tomorrow evening for fliegening anyway Nick, if you're about?

Subject to your Car having the appropriate medication  :P 

Replacement EGR valve - Garage wanted £300! Parts have cost just under £70! :driving2:

Edited by Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

+1 on the age of the 1150.

To have some form of 'future' proofing, I'd really go for a 970 or 980... sure, it costs more ... 

Like Jabo mentioned, this will also depend on the monitor / resolution.

(Bit of a sidestep maybe, but what about VR, would he want to be be 'ready' or 'prepared' for that?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps, bumping this discussion to get a better idea of what parts the old man can start purchasing.

Been looking into CPUs a bit more and taking on the advice that the newest socket will of course be best, how does the following look?

http://www.ebuyer.com/718336-intel-core-i5-6600k-3-5ghz-socket-1151-6mb-l3-cache-retail-boxed-processor-bx80662i56600k

No HS + fan but that's fine because we'd be spec'ing an after-market solution anyway. 

Just need to settle on a decent compatible mobo. Any suggestions?

• 2. Administrators

Cpu looks fine. As far as mobo is concerned, I've found Gigabyte to be good and reliable. Incidentally, the offer of a free dvdrw drive is still available if you want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpu looks fine. As far as mobo is concerned, I've found Gigabyte to be good and reliable. Incidentally, the offer of a free dvdrw drive is still available if you want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback mate, actually I think mine's a Gigabyte iirc...

And yes thanks, we will indeed take you up on that offer! Meant to mention earlier  :salute:  :thumbsu:

Hi chaps, bumping this discussion to get a better idea of what parts the old man can start purchasing.

Been looking into CPUs a bit more and taking on the advice that the newest socket will of course be best, how does the following look?

http://www.ebuyer.com/718336-intel-core-i5-6600k-3-5ghz-socket-1151-6mb-l3-cache-retail-boxed-processor-bx80662i56600k

No HS + fan but that's fine because we'd be spec'ing an after-market solution anyway. 

Just need to settle on a decent compatible mobo. Any suggestions?

Hi chaps,thanks for all your input and thanks Nick for the offer of DVD RW most kind. I was talking to Chris last night and he said to look for a suitable mother board for the above CPU and some people on the reviews were saying gigabyte 1151 Z170 and using 16Gb of ram, i looked up these two and they are very similar in price in fact only a few cents difference.

Gigabyte 1151Z170-D3H model no GA-Z170-D3H.. and Gigabyte 1151Z170-HD3P model no GA-Z170HD3P they not the cheapest but not the dearest, would one of these be any good for me ? if so which one.thanks !! The new hobby is under way at last. :salute:

• 2. Administrators

The HD3P is the more 'feature-rich' board in my opnion, but ony just. In practice I think you'd be hard-pushed to tell the difference. Buy the cheaper one and put the difference into getting a better gfx card.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning chaps,i have been looking up parts for the new rig and after giving BB a good ear bashing come up with this list of goodies,i've had a look at minimum spec for oculus rift so i am hoping this will be well able for VR gaming at a future date and be reasonably future proof,price wise the parts are not too silly apart from the graphics card but i have most of the year to save up for that! or if this year is too windy again the sale of a certain tiger moth will fund it lol.

So would you be so kind as to have a browse at the list below and give me your views please,thank you very much and look forward to your replies.

CPU ... intel core i5 6600 1151 retail

MB ..... gigabyte Z170-HD3P

RAM .. corsair 16gb DDR4 2133 D/K VEN LPX  2 X 8 gb

HD  .... seagate 2Tb barracuda 7200, 12 serial 3.5"

SSD ... samsung 250 gb 850 EVO M.2 SATA

ASUS . gaming NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX980TI 6 gb        or EGVA  equivelent. ?

PSU ...750/800W

• 2. Administrators

3.5GHz in standard mode, 3.9GHz in turbo.

1 point about the SSD Mel, ensure you use a SATAIII compatible data cable and plug it into a SATAIII port on the mobo - no point in squandering horsepower for the sake of a few extra quid.

Actually thinking about it, I've got a few spare SATAIII data cables - I'll let you have 'em.

• Like 1

I wonder - to be as future proof as possible -  might it not be better to have a cpu running a stock speed of around 4ghz?   Stuff like BoS/BoM and DCS 2 Nevada map really benefit from this.

If building this system is a step by step process; make the graphics card the last component to be purchased.  The price can only fall. :salute:

Looks good, though I am not sure whether you will be needing 700/800W PSU.

Better spend some of power into pounds, get a lighter one of better quality.... 

Yes will do, i was looking at one of those what size psu guides and entered my spec, 600 or more was the answer so i will look for a good quality 650 then.

It'll do (that mobo is socket 1151 yes?) - The EVGA 980 is the better card IMO

When i was looking for MB to match CPU a few of the pc online stores where doing bundles and these two were always together so i went for that MB,probably go for the EGVA card as quite a few lads here say the same as yourself.

Cor!  Looks pretty good to me.  One question; what is the clock speed of the i5 6600?

I am glad Nick answered that when it comes to all that technical stuff i am stumped, got all that to learn now.

3.5GHz in standard mode, 3.9GHz in turbo.

1 point about the SSD Mel, ensure you use a SATAIII compatible data cable and plug it into a SATAIII port on the mobo - no point in squandering horsepower for the sake of a few extra quid.

Actually thinking about it, I've got a few spare SATAIII data cables - I'll let you have 'em.

Perfect Nick thank you very much :thumbsu:

I wonder - to be as future proof as possible -  might it not be better to have a cpu running a stock speed of around 4ghz?   Stuff like BoS/BoM and DCS 2 Nevada map really benefit from this.

If building this system is a step by step process; make the graphics card the last component to be purchased.  The price can only fall. :salute:

If this would benefit the build would i be better off with different CPU at this point in time ? and yes by the time i am ready to purchase the graphics card will probably be the arse end of summer so hopefully they will be a bit cheaper.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen i am most grateful as this is all very different to building r/c aircraft, its a big learning curve and i hope to understand the goings on inside the pc eventually. :thumbsu: