Headset Repair - Upgrade

Perfesser

I've had this headset for a long time now. I originally bought it to mount my Freetrack LED's instead of a hat. I don't much like the clip style. The farther apart the lights are the more accurately they will be tracked(I see the phone camera picks up the IR LED's very well).

The head cushion elastics went first. Packing foam and duct tape to the rescue for a quick fix while on level stab mid mission.

The foam ear bits were always too thin for long sessions and became uncomfortable.  With some foam pipe insulation and the handyman's secret weapon  I extended the ear pads for a more comfortable fit(earpiece on the left) . This has worked great for quite a while but I've increasingly been suffering "wardrobe malfunctions" with them.

Turns out you can buy new ear pads quite reasonably priced. Mine were under $20 from http://www.scansound.com .

You Euro guys can search "headset cushions" for someone on that side of the pond.

All you need is to measure the diameter(good instructions on the site) and the new ones slip right in.

Much better than the old foam, these are actual leather(ette?). As a Dog I did look for sheepskin but the world hasn't caught up yet.

They're still a bit thin but while youtubing the subject I found an elegant fix.

Once the new pads are on you can tuck a piece of rope under the pads to extend them out. I used the rope in the foreground, it's 3/8" or almost 1cm and about the max that will fit without popping off the pads. I may yet press that duct tape into service.

The pad on the right shows the finished product - looks better than new!

If any of you have those floppy Dog ears you might just give that cheap fix a try.

headset%20repair_zpsxdy5sblh.jpg

Jeeze, and I thought my Platronics were worn. Just glued my pads back on last week, the sticky on them failed, and I only wore them around my neck for tha last 3 years or so, and another AKG K240 no Mic set on my ears. and the arm has been epoxied several years ago, as with the mic foam disentagrated years ago also. They are my third set since the onset of gaming, the others never lasted more than a couple of years, no matter the hillbilly engenering I perfomed on them.

post-468-0-82277200-1455395937_thumb.jpg

Nice

Ok

I'm gonna get new headphones today and have a clear out.....................................

My man cave is a bit untidy at the moment.

Its where I do my car electronic repairs ECU reprogramming etc etc.

It gets worse to the left in the room where car parts and various other manly stuff resides,

but this is where I squeeze into for flying, just enough room lmao.

Coffee stains dust dirt on the floor all over my poor old printer, the other half never ventures into here :)

IMG_11291_zpscelnx3pb.jpg