Not A Computing Question...

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

...by way of a change. So I got a handheld radio scanner for Christmas and I'm blowed if I can understand how to work it - I'm within 5-10 miles of two airports (one municipal and one international) and I can't pick up any transmissions from them (or for that matter anywhere else). Does anyone out there have experience using one of these things? I've one or two questions I need to ask.

Cheers

Jabo

Blimey, they're not cheap are they?   One of my brothers used to have one of these sort of things and I seem to recall the antennae was a really important part of the kit.  He ended up buying a large extension one with a magnetic base that sat on top of the car roof!

He wasn't that interested in listening in but it became a battle of wills;  he'd bought the bloody thing, therefore he was determined to make it work. :P.

Next time you have to drive by East Midlands Airport have it ready.  Five to ten miles distance does not sound a long way away but the stock antennae might mean you have to be in line of sight sometimes.

Civil airbands are in the 109 to 137MHz range and military are between 225 and 400 MHz.

Does it cover these frequencies?

Edit; aha! excellent find FT.  I think you're best bet is to take it to the airport and have a run through there and see how you get on.

• 2. Administrators

Thanks chaps, Yes, I'm aware of the potential limitations of the stock antenna and I have already ordered one which is supposed to be 'tuned' for airband reception so that may improve matters. The frequency range covers the full civilian band but not the military - that's OK too for the time being at least.

Perhaps I'll take a run up to Birmingham tomorrow - see how I get on.

• 2. Administrators

I've come to the conclusion the reason this might not have been working as expected, is because there wasn't much air traffic over the festive period, as I am now picking up some broadcasts albeit very weak ones. Hopefully this will be improved when the new antenna arrives (today fingers crossed!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do some searching on building an antenna.

I was looking at a TV antennas for $100 and the one I built for $10 is pretty much the same thing. It's not as pretty but up in the attic it is invisible and out of the weather.

Might be as simple as stringing a few wires across the rafters.

• 2. Administrators

I agree Perf, but this one is just a little handheld for airshows and suchlike. It's a bit annoying to miss a run and break cos you're engrossed in some whizzy bit of machinery in a hangar (especially when we're at Legends on the day before the show (I like to catch the arrivals)) so my plan was to take this one with me and then I can listen to the radio traffic at the field so I know what's happening. If I get an upgraded version at some point and want to do more listening at home, then a nice aerial in the attic would be just the ticket!