Dcs Updater - Slooooooooow!

slicker55

Looks like DCS is now being updated via torrent and so far everyone at ED Forum is complaining how slow the transfer is.

My download has been running 55 minutes

906.9 of 1065.2 MBytes
Peers: 197, Up: 216.8KB/s, Down: 85.1KB/s

Earlier I was uploading at 1.5MB/s and only getting 7.8KB/s in return :(

• 2. Administrators

If you stop the update, it'll give you the option to use the old method. If it's any consolation after 3 hours I'd only got 52% of the file so you were doing a lot better than me. Unfortunately I didn't find out about the old upload method until it was too late to anything about it last night. I'll have to do it tonight after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2. Administrators

I'm a bit surprised that ed went down this route. Torrents rely on people who have fully downloaded seeding the files so others can download it, but the updater disconnects once it has the files so you're not getting long-term seeds. Http option much better. My ancient DSL was giving me a steady 0.6 MB/s - hardly earth-shattering until you see that via torrent I was getting anywhere from 0.1 to 0.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always a surprise in store with DCS!  However, I have to say 1.5 has been very stable and no longer makes my pc lock up completely like the previous versions sometimes did.

I'm just guessing but surely the torrent try out is something to do with the imminent release of the Nevada map which is going to be a fairly large and popular download?